[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » Mothership concept
Mothership concept
VinnyDate: Friday, 16.11.2012, 08:05 | Message # 76
Explorer
Group: Users
United States
Hi, SpaceEngineer!

My question is how is the mother ship coming along in terms of engines, textures, cockpit, interior view, ect. of the mother ship which is under development for space engine? I hope you understand what I'm trying to ask you. Thanks!

Cheers,
Vincent

SpaceEngineerDate: Friday, 16.11.2012, 12:57 | Message # 77
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Vinny, do you ask about ships interiors (rooms, corridors, bridge)?

VinnyDate: Saturday, 17.11.2012, 07:52 | Message # 78
Explorer
United States
Hi, SpaceEngineer!

Yes, I'm asking you about the ships interiors like the rooms, corridors, and the bridge. Thanks!

Cheers,
Vincent

SpaceEngineerDate: Saturday, 17.11.2012, 20:19 | Message # 79
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote (Vinny)
Yes, I'm asking you about the ships interiors like the rooms, corridors, and the bridge. Thanks!

It is planned, but it will be implemented not in the nearest version(s).

VinnyDate: Sunday, 18.11.2012, 02:33 | Message # 80
Explorer
United States
Hi, SpaceEngineer!

Great! Thanks! I'm really looking forward for trying out the interiors of the ship in the future versions!

Cheers,
Vincent

Klack0nDate: Sunday, 18.11.2012, 19:34 | Message # 81
Observer
Group: Newbies
Finland
Hello, SpaceEngineer

I was just wondering whether you have considered this Miniature Black hole as a power source for the mothership and maybe this Alcubierre drive as a means to travel between star systems...

Imagine arriving to some remote star system, venturing too close to a planet and then "accidentally"
shutting down your warp drive oops! --> instantly cooked planet biggrin

Edited by Klack0n - Sunday, 18.11.2012, 19:57

SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 19.11.2012, 01:14 | Message # 82
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote (Klack0n)
Hello, SpaceEngineer I was just wondering whether you have considered this Miniature Black hole as a power source for the mothership and maybe this Alcubierre drive as a means to travel between star systems... Imagine arriving to some remote star system, venturing too close to a planet and then "accidentally" shutting down your warp drive oops! --> instantly cooked planet

I'd considered it. To be useful, a black hole should have mass of a thousand tons - it may be even more massive than the ship itself. Despite power and specific impulse of black hole engine, the amount of fuel needed to accelerate such a massive space ship makes this technology not compete against the "usual" thermonuclear engines.

Klack0nDate: Monday, 19.11.2012, 08:55 | Message # 83
Observer
Finland
I'd considered it. To be useful, a black hole should have mass of a thousand tons - it may be even more massive than the ship itself. Despite power and specific impulse of black hole engine, the amount of fuel needed to accelerate such a massive space ship makes this technology not compete against the "usual" thermonuclear engines.

Yes it may be impractical to use this system when cruising inside star systems (lots of burnt objects etc..). Actually i was thinking the warp drive bubble generation module as a separate detachable "ring" around the ship, a sort of harness for the mothership
that can be detached when entering star systems. This module would contain the needed "tech" for controlling the miniature black hole/holes that would generate the power for the warp drive (also in the bubble generation module). This way you would never actually have to move around in conventional means while dragging those massive black hole/holes with you.

As for what comes to powering this warp drive.. if enough technological advances can be made that allow oscillating the warp bubble intensity (lowering the power requirements by several orders of magnitude) it just might be feasible to use small enough black hole/holes to power this system (by Hawking radiation).

Anyway.. its just an idea that "might" allow faster than light travel and it wouldnt break the known laws of physics at the same time. The engineering problems are ofcourse going to be enormous...

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 19.11.2012, 10:24 | Message # 84
Cosmic Curator
United States
Klack0n, why use black holes to power the warp engine? There are far more accessible and efficient methods of generating power. You could use a few thousand kilograms of antimatter to generate enough power for prolonged warp flights, as opposed to needing a black hole of millions of kilograms. Even fusion reactors might be able to generate the necessary power. I can imagine no scenario in which one would want to intentionally integrate a black hole into their ship's design. It is extremely massive and extremely dangerous, both to operate and possibly produce.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Klack0nDate: Monday, 19.11.2012, 11:30 | Message # 85
Observer
Finland
Klack0n, why use black holes to power the warp engine? There are far more accessible and efficient methods of generating power. You could use a few thousand kilograms of antimatter to generate enough power for prolonged warp flights, as opposed to needing a black hole of millions of kilograms

Yes using antimatter would create similar amounts of energy as small black holes do (both convert mass to energy). The problem is how do you create enough antimatter? I'm not saying its impossible (they have already produced few antimatter particles in CERN), but how do you produce enough of it to power long space flights?

Imo its far easier to produce micro size black hole by using a massive space based particle accelerator or maybe a some sort of short duration laser (powered by solar panels). Once you have done this you can feed it to desirable size (any matter will do). It will automatically start to convert its mass to energy (output varies with its mass). Now build a warp bubble module around it and use it to move it around. Its mass is of no issue since you're not actually moving it at all. You're moving the space time bubble around it. The most important part after this is its practically eternal (and stable) power source as long as you keep feeding it mass (almost perfect mass to energy conversion ratio).

t is extremely massive and extremely dangerous, both to operate and possibly produce.

As to how dangerous its to operate? I don't think so, its gravitational effect is laughable. Its size is also of no issue.. event horizon is about the size of an atom or maybe even smaller. Its energy output is probably a some sort of problem as it would be radiating massive amounts of energy. How do you harness this i have no idea. Also feeding enough mass to an object size of a an atom is going to be a problem... Yeah there are definitely going to be problems when trying to create it and use it for energy production. But there you have it, almost perfect mass to energy conversion ratio, no need to produce another one ever. And it can use practically anything as fuel...

Anyway.. its just and idea (and not mine)

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 06.01.2013, 09:43 | Message # 86
Cosmic Curator
United States
Ok, I just had a brilliant idea on how to handle artificial gravity on a large crew-carrying ship like this (this isn't strictly relevant to the mothership concept, I just wanted to put this down somewhere).

You would have a rotating ring, which is the obvious choice, but to cope with the acceleration of the engines (assuming that it's 1g) the interior of the ring would be comprised of segments which rotated on bearings so that the floor would naturally come to face the direction opposite the acceleration (so down would always be down). This would allow uninterrupted and completely comfortable transitions from rotation-gravity to thrust-gravity.

My SE mods and addons

SHWDate: Sunday, 06.01.2013, 10:09 | Message # 87
Astronaut
Group: SE team
Pirate
(HarbingerDawn)
Ok, I just had a brilliant idea on how to handle artificial gravity on a large crew-carrying ship like this (this isn't strictly relevant to the mothership concept, I just wanted to put this down somewhere).

It is similar to my ideas, I've used for ships: post.

Your mind is software. Program it.
Your body is a shell. Change it.
Death is a disease. Cure it.

werdnaforeverDate: Sunday, 06.01.2013, 10:15 | Message # 88
World Builder
Pirate
(HarbingerDawn)
You would have a rotating ring, which is the obvious choice, but to cope with the acceleration of the engines (assuming that it's 1g) the interior of the ring would be comprised of segments which rotated on bearings so that the floor would naturally come to face the direction opposite the acceleration (so down would always be down). This would allow uninterrupted and completely comfortable transitions from rotation-gravity to thrust-gravity.

I guess I don't have proof of this, but I considered this myself a few years ago. However, at the time I was thinking about an ssto- a very large one-the idea was that there would be a smooth transition from surface to orbit. I figured that you would need exceptionally large segments since they are rotating; they would have to be semi independent of one another. Think about all the systems which would need to be rotated along with it (plumbing, for example). I figured this would be too complex for a single ssto. I thought that a larger ship would be better suited for this but, because I was considering something that might actually be buildable in the next several decades I did regarded it at the time since huge ships are far beyond our capabilities. Ultimately I never did anything with the idea.

On a mothership this could work if all the life-support systems, living areas, and any other accessible areas were contained inside the segments. You also have to the mechanism used to rotate them, and how the ring will be rotated when the engines are not firing and the segments are in a normal position relying on centripetal force. If it is self contained (rather than rotating with the ship) then this will complicate things quite a bit. Your best bet is to gradually increase the rotation of the whole ship. Also, let's consider an emergency where the engines stop firing for some reason. Depending on how far the process is, this sudden lack of acceleration could cause serious problems for the crew and the ship's systems. How fast will the ship be capable of changing from flat ground to a ring shaped station? These are important points to consider.

Hopefully my sudden reply will be enough to convince you I've thought about this quite a bit.

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 06.01.2013, 11:36 | Message # 89
Cosmic Curator
United States
(SHW)
It is similar to my ideas

Yes, very similar idea, and good illustrations too smile

(werdnaforever)
I guess I don't have proof of this, but I considered this myself a few years ago.
Hopefully my sudden reply will be enough to convince you I've thought about this quite a bit.

Don't worry, I'm not trying to claim a patent or anything smile When I came up with this idea it seemed likely that others had imagined similar things as well, as it is a good solution to the problem.

My SE mods and addons

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Sunday, 06.01.2013, 11:36

BlackeyeDate: Thursday, 14.03.2013, 16:18 | Message # 90
Astronaut
Germany
infinite electrical energy could be made as realistic: with a magnet motor! there's really something! and it spins! whom you would do in the great style and installs a large dynamo makes it veeeery much electrical current! but it is silent ... this is what else ... So no matter what you think?

ps: sory for bad english... google translator sad

Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » Mothership concept
Search: