ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » [WIP] SpaceEngine Spaceflight School
[WIP] SpaceEngine Spaceflight School
MosfetDate: Saturday, 30.07.2016, 12:39 | Message # 31
World Builder
Group: Users
Italy
Viktor, you'll be able to create your own thread after your 10th post.

"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Douglas N. Adams
My mods
Asus x555ub: cpu i5-6200u - ram 4gb - gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

SpaceEngineerDate: Saturday, 30.07.2016, 20:16 | Message # 32
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Viktor, cool! It seems you are used autopilot to rendezvous with mothership. It is not designed to do that. Use autopilot only if there few hundreds kilometers between your ship and target. To approach to this distance, use orbital synchronization. SE don't have tools for this yet, but it is relatively easy: use prograde/retrograde impulses at peri/apocenter to adjust orbit size, and normal up/normal down impulses at orbit nodes to adjust inclination. Then your and target orbits almost match, make your orbit slightly more elliptical, so your and target ship will orbit planet at different speed. After few orbits you will see what your ship approches the target one to 500 km or less, at this point you may use "fly to" autopilot.
Also, while landing, just press F to descend (reduce hover engines power), and R to ascend.
And the last, disable prograde/retorgrade/etc on the mothership before docking - it will be a lot easier.
Anyway, good video!

ViktorDate: Sunday, 31.07.2016, 14:40 | Message # 33
Space Tourist
Czech Republic
SpaceEngineer, Ok, thanks for advices smile Yea, i know i kind of messed up when i pressed the autopilot too soon to approach the ship and kissed Earth's atmosphere again biggrin But i made it like drama and used Debris track from Gravity for it. I think it was fun and pretty cool in the video biggrin If i'd wait longer till i'm further from the Earth, it would be fine. So yea, it's safer to do it manually, while approaching the ship which is orbiting some planet. Still need to practice that :)
And about the prograde/retorgrade/etc while docking, yea, good idea to turn that off. It would make docking easier. I also had bad luck and didn't manage to dock before the ship got into the night side of the Earth. I couldn't see a damn thing on night side, so i waited for the sun biggrin It was taking forever, that's why i increased speed of the video dramatically during that time. Didn't wanna make cuts.
And thanks for advice for landing. Will be practicing that :)

That also reminds me, there is a recording feature in Space Engine, using which you can also record video without HUD. That would be awesome to use, but problem is that i wanna record 60 fps and about 30 Mbps quality. I am eye sensitive for quality. I am recording such a high bitrate, because i then upscale the video to 2k, because that way, youtube precesses the video in higher bitrate. That's why my vids has really good quality. I am using Mirillis Action software for it, which records very smooth 60 fps and without having any impact to the performance. When i run the SE's recording feature, the performance is really bad. Also, AVI is really outdated format now. It probably would be good idea to add MP4. Or any advices how to record video using SE's recording feature without HUD and with all the demands for quality and performance i have?

pfjarschelDate: Tuesday, 09.08.2016, 13:44 | Message # 34
Space Tourist
Pirate
Hey Viktor, nice video!! It's good to see "our students" improving, haha!!

Anyway, just letting you know that I'll finally update the guide with some suggestions and small changes over the next few days!

"Rush, Where the hell are we?"
"Several billion light years from home."

Edited by pfjarschel - Thursday, 18.08.2016, 16:31

CarloslsanferDate: Wednesday, 17.08.2016, 15:57 | Message # 35
Observer
Group: Newbies
Mexico
good day to every one, i started to play Space Engine's flight mode and i am wondering how to completely stop a starship in deep space? i'm trying to dock a skylone into a wayfarer but i cant stop the wayfarer... so i can never get in position to dock the shuttle sad any suggestions?

DeathStarDate: Wednesday, 17.08.2016, 18:00 | Message # 36
Pioneer
Croatia
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
An idea for Master Challenges: intergalactic flight using gravity assist of a black hole!

Wow, that's a pretty epic(and Fun) idea! Did anyone succeed at this? The first part looks simple enough, but the second part(deceleration) looks insanely hard, and requires massive precision.

Also, once fuel is implemented, will this be worthwhile to actually do? I imagine if you are travelling very far away(several gigaparsecs) with a low-end ship this would be the only way to do it without using absurd amounts of fuel, and in a reasonable amount of time.

pfjarschelDate: Friday, 26.08.2016, 12:28 | Message # 37
Space Tourist
Pirate
Quote Carloslsanfer ()
good day to every one, i started to play Space Engine's flight mode and i am wondering how to completely stop a starship in deep space? i'm trying to dock a skylone into a wayfarer but i cant stop the wayfarer... so i can never get in position to dock the shuttle any suggestions?

Hi Carlos! In space, you are always moving in relation to something else! If you are in really deep space, just kill your engines (z) and warp drive (alt+z), and you'll stop accelerating. If you want to stop your movement in relation to a certain reference body, go to the retrograde direction and accelerate forward until your indicated speed is 0.

DeathStar, I still have to try this!! I think it'll be tough as hell, but really really cool!! And yeah, I think it's the only way without burning all the fuel in the galaxy :P

"Rush, Where the hell are we?"
"Several billion light years from home."

Syntech_SecuritiesDate: Wednesday, 07.09.2016, 16:04 | Message # 38
Observer
India
I just want to come in here and thank you a lot for your effort mate!

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Tuesday, 13.09.2016, 13:42 | Message # 39
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Because of how useful this has been, I have pinned this thread so it is easier for people to find. smile

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

ViktorDate: Sunday, 25.09.2016, 12:25 | Message # 40
Space Tourist
Czech Republic
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
An idea for Master Challenges: intergalactic flight using gravity assist of a black hole!
1) Find some black hole, warp there and enter far stable orbit.
2) Decrease pericenter height in that way, so ship velocity vector will point to the target galaxy when in pericenter (some HUD tool is need to be implemented for this).
3) Wait until you reach pericenter, accelerating by black hole gravity to incredible speed; then velocity vector is turned to needed direction, turn on warp field to maximum power! Milliseconds matter a lot here in case of stellar mass black hole, so choosing supermassive black hole is better for manually piloted crafts.
4) You will be pulled away from the galaxy within few seconds; flight to 1 billion light years will take few hours. During flight, make corrections so your velocity vector will point target galaxy center (use telescope for this).
5) Then close to the galaxy, find another black hole for braking (you must already know it's coordinates). Adjust your velocity vector toward it.
6) Really tricky part, I wasn't able to pass this exam: proceed points 3-2-1 in backward order to decelerate using black hole's gravity and enter stable orbit around it. The correct way probably would be passing few Rg off the black hole in warp, then disable warp drive at closest approach, and let gravity do the job. Also, then your physical velocity decreases to few dozen of km/s, you may enable warp drive again to escape the black hole system (be careful, look where is warp vector pointed at this time).

So i just tried this out and succeeded in the accelerating part. I used central black hole of IC 1101. That black hole is really something. Its lensing effect is visible pretty far away from it. It was pretty scary as well. I made stable orbit with huge eccentricity and almost fell into the black hole at first. When i was passing the black hole in such a small distance that its blackness was covering almost my whole screen when i looked into it, the physical velocity of my ship was almost half of a speed of light, 0,40c to be precise. So i started warp at full power and i was catapulted from the central cluster with speed of almost 11 kly/sec. I'm saying from cluster because as IC 1101 is 6 million ly in diameter, it was taking let's say 15 minutes to leave the galaxy with that speed (i used time machine, so i don't know). I uploaded screenshot from it.

I probably won't do the breaking part. That seems pretty crazy to me. Space Engineer says he couldn't do it. So if maker of the universe couldn't do it, how could i do it? biggrin

Attachments: 2314868.jpg (130.1 Kb)

Edited by Viktor - Sunday, 25.09.2016, 14:24

ViktorDate: Wednesday, 28.09.2016, 10:17 | Message # 41
Space Tourist
Czech Republic
I finally made video about it and posted it in proper thread: http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/10-1357-73064-16-1475057071
The third video is the one.

Edited by Viktor - Wednesday, 28.09.2016, 10:18

MosfetDate: Wednesday, 28.09.2016, 23:17 | Message # 42
World Builder
Italy
I have uploaded an updated version (1.0 so far) of the guide in .epub format here:
SE Space Flight School.epub

"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Douglas N. Adams
My mods
Asus x555ub: cpu i5-6200u - ram 4gb - gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

ViktorDate: Monday, 17.10.2016, 20:19 | Message # 43
Space Tourist
Czech Republic
So now i just tried breaking using black hole. My ship's real velocity was 0,85c. I tried many times and no matter what i do, i never managed get captured by the black hole's gravity enough, so that it had some significant influence to my velocity. Even if i was passing the black hole so close that i was kissing the event horizon. When i was closest, i slowed down to about 0,65c. Guess i'm simply too fast. I was always using central black hole of galaxy.
But funny was that after every fail, i simply started the warp drive again from the black hole and arrived to another galaxy in that direction and tried again there and after fail again (sometime i actually accelerated even more, instead of slowing down), i repeated the same thing again with another galaxy. So those galaxies was kinda playing football with me, heh.

IdgeliosDate: Saturday, 22.10.2016, 16:35 | Message # 44
Astronaut
United States
How do I land on an oceania without disintegrating? I so much tap the ocean and my spaceship is annihilated into a million component parts.

StarStuffDate: Monday, 24.10.2016, 13:06 | Message # 45
Observer
Pirate
Thanks for the tutorial! I tried to learn it myself a year ago (by trial and error), but got confused by the controls, and I finally gave up. But now, a few weeks after learning from the tutorial, I can finally steer my spaceship!

By the way, have you considered adding a section about going to another planet/moon using Hohmann transfer? I think the community needs to know about how to do it realistically (or, based from the roleplay, "how it was done in the past" biggrin ).

Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » [WIP] SpaceEngine Spaceflight School
Search: