ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » Planets from the movie "Interstellar"
Planets from the movie "Interstellar"
TemperateTerraIsBestDate: Saturday, 14.02.2015, 16:15 | Message # 31
Space Tourist
Group: Users
United States
1 hour = 7 years? Her daughter would be dead by earlier than that. 24 x 7 = 168

Sample Text

Edited by TemperateTerraIsBest - Saturday, 14.02.2015, 16:15

WatsisnameDate: Saturday, 14.02.2015, 17:41 | Message # 32
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
They didn't spend 24 hours there.

kham132Date: Sunday, 15.02.2015, 01:08 | Message # 33
Space Pilot
United States
Quote TemperateTerraIsBest ()
1 hour = 7 years? Her daughter would be dead by earlier than that. 24 x 7 = 168

Romilly says he aged 23 years while they were on the planet. 23/7=3.28 hrs.

"Fancy and inspirational quote."
- Famous Person

TemperateTerraIsBestDate: Sunday, 15.02.2015, 01:38 | Message # 34
Space Tourist
United States
Okay, thanks. biggrin

Sample Text

WillocrispDate: Monday, 16.02.2015, 16:41 | Message # 35
Space Tourist
Pirate
Quote kham132 ()
Romilly says he aged 23 years while they were on the planet. 23/7=3.28 hrs.

Romily was enough distance away to not be affected by Gargantua's time dilation. They spent roughly 3-4 hours on the planet, because they got flooded out after the first set of tides, and had to wait.

EDIT: Nevermind. Noticed someone already corrected it smile

Edited by Willocrisp - Monday, 16.02.2015, 16:43

InariusDate: Thursday, 19.11.2015, 11:19 | Message # 36
Explorer
Group: Local Moderators
France
I don't understand what you have, with Interstellar. It was quite a shitty movie, with a bad scenario and quite irrealistic (even in its own irrealism). Apart from the Black Hole, which was georgious, it was really a bad movie...

Anyway, this new picture is really really well rendered. You are doing a great job, really !

kham132Date: Thursday, 19.11.2015, 15:10 | Message # 37
Space Pilot
United States
I'll bet, when 0.974 comes out, someone will recreate the entire Interstellar movie.

"Fancy and inspirational quote."
- Famous Person

DenebStarFTWDate: Thursday, 19.11.2015, 21:01 | Message # 38
Space Tourist
Chile
someone will recreate the entire Interstellar movie

im actually on it, but i dont have the time to finish it. i recorded leaving the earth and the saturn fly-by. With doc's new wormhole placeholder, i might end recording the solar system part of the movie

- S T A Y -

Edited by DenebStarFTW - Thursday, 19.11.2015, 21:01

VilfateDate: Saturday, 21.11.2015, 03:49 | Message # 39
Astronaut
China
Quote DenebStarFTW ()
i might end recording the solar system part of the movie

sounds like an impressive plan indeed wink

SpaceEngineerDate: Saturday, 21.11.2015, 10:27 | Message # 40
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Quote Inarius ()
I don't understand what you have, with Interstellar. It was quite a shitty movie, with a bad scenario and quite irrealistic (even in its own irrealism). Apart from the Black Hole, which was georgious, it was really a bad movie...

Maybe if you read Kip Thorne's book, you'll change your mind http://www.amazon.com/The-Sci....3351378

admas17, thank you smile

InariusDate: Saturday, 21.11.2015, 13:04 | Message # 41
Explorer
France
@SpaceEngineer : For example, the Miller planet is completly impossible, a planet with such a time change (thus very close from the Black Hole) would be completely destroyed by the Roche limit, and, anyway, there couldn't have liquid water if so near from the Black Hole (not speaking about people on it considering the size and the color of the disk Black Hole , I think that it's probably not very safe to take a walk so near from it with all the Gamma and X Ray you would receive, even if it's not a big disk, there are supposed to be very. VERY VERY close from it.). All people and ships in the movie should be instantly carbonized by the heat and the rays, and the crushing gravity.

Also, the fact that they take off quite easily with their small starship from Miller planet, when they needed an enormous space rocket to take off the same way, from Earth (where gravity is lower than on Miller's planet, which is "only" 30% higher, when time is so changed...another contradiction). Unfortunately, it's only a part of the issues of the movie...Oh, and, at the end, seeing people playing baseball, in the Torus, I think, it's also a big problem on a physical point of view. Don't they know the Coriolis strength, and the fact that "gravity" will change quickly, while the ball take "altitude" ?

Last thing, how can planets form around Gargantua ? It doesn't seem there is stars, but there are planets ? Very strange.

Well, actually, there are so many scientifical issues...

There are also some very funny moment when people in the spaceship discusses very elementary physical things (for the audience, of course). I know that, if they didn't, there wouldn't make a movie, but it doesn't make a good story anyway...

The last moment, when he leaves the black hole and is alone in the void of the space and a spaceship comes to "rescue" him is...well...fun ? Only the Heart of Gold and its Infinite Improbability Drive of H2G2 can do this smile (really, think of it, in the infinity of space, there was a ship to rescue him ! Just there. Very lucky, indeed)

Anyway, even if it was completely exact on a scientifical point of view, i still find the scenario very bad...that's why I don't understand so many praise for this movie.

DeathStarDate: Saturday, 21.11.2015, 13:51 | Message # 42
Pioneer
Croatia
Wait, the movie was seriously supposed to be realistic? I actually took it for granted that the movie is totally unrealistic and that realism isn't the focus, but hearing now that they actually styled the movie as being very realistic almost makes me want to cringe. As Inarius said, the movie is so full of ridiculous scientific inaccuracies that it almost makes star trek look realistic in comparison, if you ask me.

Edited by DeathStar - Saturday, 21.11.2015, 13:53

n0b0dyDate: Saturday, 21.11.2015, 13:57 | Message # 43
Explorer
Pirate
Quote Inarius ()
Also, the fact that they take off quite easily with their small starship from Miller planet,

Maybe they were using space engine biggrin

lexrazorDate: Saturday, 21.11.2015, 14:54 | Message # 44
Astronaut
Bulgaria
Well it is supposed to be a Sci-Fi movie, not a documentary. SOME elements of the movie are based on realistic/real scientific calculations and/or theories.

SalvoDate: Saturday, 21.11.2015, 16:03 | Message # 45
Star Engineer
Italy
Guys, remember that here we are talking about SE developing. I just hope this doesn't go too much off-topic...

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » Planets from the movie "Interstellar"
Search: