ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Space Engine versus Orbiter - a free space flight simulator
Space Engine versus Orbiter - a free space flight simulator
VinnyDate: Tuesday, 15.05.2012, 23:05 | Message # 1
Explorer
Group: Users
United States
Hi, guys!

I'm really impressed with the space engine's graphics! As far as graphics in space engine goes, the graphics in space engine is way better than graphics in orbiter - a free space flight simulator! I've used orbiter - a free space flight simulator before until I discovered space engine a few months ago.

Cheers,
Vincent

Edited by Vinny - Tuesday, 15.05.2012, 23:08

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 16.05.2012, 20:46 | Message # 2
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Personally I would LOVE to see the functionality of Orbiter combined with the graphics of SpaceEngine. I love both programs. In the future, when spacecraft models and spaceflight physics are added to SpaceEngine, then hopefully we will see something like that smile

On a side note, the latest release of the D3D9 client for Orbiter does make it look much nicer.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

jtmedinaDate: Thursday, 17.05.2012, 20:00 | Message # 3
Space Pilot
Spain
Like both too. Having played Orbiter for many years now, it's got to be amazing seeing the functionality of Orbiter combined with SpaceEngine world, including its amazing graphics.

werdnaforeverDate: Sunday, 27.05.2012, 21:43 | Message # 4
World Builder
Pirate
Quote (jtmedina)
Like both too.

I agree- I love them both.

Anyone ever wish you could stuff two programs into a blender* to get one amazing program?

Anyway, each one is exceptional at what it does. Both have their own strengths and weaknesses.

*I'm not referring to the open source 3D modeling and animation program of the same name :)

beagle22Date: Friday, 11.09.2015, 05:42 | Message # 5
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
"Personally I would LOVE to see the functionality of Orbiter combined with the graphics of SpaceEngine."

"it's got to be amazing seeing the functionality of Orbiter combined with SpaceEngine world, including its amazing graphics."

"Anyone ever wish you could stuff two programs into a blender* to get one amazing program? "

Yes. This, this, a thousand times this.

Dr. Martin Schweiger and Space Engineer should team up. Seriously. Nothing else could possibly match a program with the flight model and MFDs of Orbiter combined with the procedural algorithm, graphics, and expanse of Space Engine. Orbiter completely ruined all other space games for me. I can't even enjoy excellent titles like Elite Dangerous, because the immersion and realism of Orbiter (with a few select mods like those by Dan Steph - ummu and ucgo cargo) makes the arcade gameplay of all other space sims immersion-breaking for me.

Put that immersion in the universe of Space Engine, and I don't think I would ever leave the house except for work.

Edited by beagle22 - Friday, 11.09.2015, 05:48

Thomas988Date: Friday, 11.09.2015, 14:25 | Message # 6
Space Pilot
United States
I completely agree with everyone else, having a combination of Orbiter and SE would be awesome. However, I think it would also be really awesome if the spacecraft editor could be integrated into SE itself, so you could construct and design them yourself and fly them moments later.

All you need in life are space games and typhlosions.

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Friday, 11.09.2015, 15:14 | Message # 7
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
An integrated ship editor is a planned feature.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

Thomas988Date: Friday, 11.09.2015, 18:39 | Message # 8
Space Pilot
United States
Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
An integrated ship editor is a planned feature.

Good to hear! biggrin

All you need in life are space games and typhlosions.

expandoDate: Saturday, 19.12.2015, 17:36 | Message # 9
Space Pilot
Australia
The Lastest Orbiter beta looks very good and for the planets that use large textures with height maps (Earth, Moon, Mars) it would be hard to determine which looks better. Orbiter is for use in the solar system only whereas SE is everywhere, they are designed for different purposes. But back to graphics quality vinny, Orbiter 2010 the graphics are substandard to SE but not substandard compared with a recent Orbiter beta (and it can only run in Dx7 or Dx9).

A video of the Moon in Orbiter Beta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcCy0Kz49O0

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true - by the wise as false - and by the rulers as useful."
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

expandoDate: Saturday, 27.08.2016, 12:54 | Message # 10
Space Pilot
Australia
Copernicus crater on the Moon: Orbiter 2016 VS Real

SE

(Images from the Orbiter screenshot thread at Orbiter-forum.com)

The Orbiter 2016 is at release candidate 4 (RC4), there is a real picture of the moon compared to the new Orbiter. Also for comparison is SE 0.9.7.3

The Moon does look better in Orbiter than SE, hard to say with Mars because the atmosphere looks better in SE. One note is the textures are higher detailed in Orbiter compared to SE.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true - by the wise as false - and by the rulers as useful."
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Edited by expando - Saturday, 27.08.2016, 12:58

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Saturday, 27.08.2016, 13:36 | Message # 11
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote expando ()
One note is the textures are higher detailed in Orbiter compared to SE.

That depends on what texture addons you use in SE. SE has to be small for uploading but you can get surface details quite high if you are willing to use up GBs of HDD space.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

MosfetDate: Saturday, 27.08.2016, 13:50 | Message # 12
World Builder
Italy
I'm not sure it's only a matter of surface details, though, even with HD/Ultra packs. I tried to replicate the image, but there's something off with the shadow of craters.

"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Douglas N. Adams
My mods
Asus x555ub: cpu i5-6200u - ram 4gb - gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

expandoDate: Saturday, 27.08.2016, 14:10 | Message # 13
Space Pilot
Australia
Quote Mosfet ()
That depends on what texture addons you use in SE. SE has to be small for uploading but you can get surface details quite high if you are willing to use up GBs of HDD space.

No that picture is from the 5.3GB Moon pack for SE thou what I ment by higher is Orbiter's Moon pack is a whopping 14.4GB zipped!

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Saturday, 27.08.2016, 14:35 | Message # 14
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote expando ()
that picture is from the 5.3GB Moon pack for SE thou what I ment by higher is Orbiter's Moon pack is a whopping 14.4GB zipped!

Pretty much what I said in my post. You would need to compare equal resolution maps in both games to have a truly fair comparison.

Most likely Orbiter will look graphically better because SE is an incomplete and limited engine in it's current state.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

MosfetDate: Tuesday, 22.11.2016, 23:38 | Message # 15
World Builder
Italy
With new moon textures from Klud, Copernicus is way better than before biggrin :

Attachments: 1653549.jpg (210.1 Kb)

"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Douglas N. Adams
My mods
Asus x555ub: cpu i5-6200u - ram 4gb - gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Space Engine versus Orbiter - a free space flight simulator
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: