ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Tips For Improving YOUR SE Experience! (Share Your Tips For Improving Your SE Experience!)
Tips For Improving YOUR SE Experience!
ProteusDate: Tuesday, 21.06.2016, 17:21 | Message # 1
Explorer
Group: Users
United States
With the permission of the mods, I would like to create this thread for everyone to share their own tips for tweaking settings and using various features in certain ways to make SE even more immersive, realistic, and practical FOR HOW WE USE IT. (This is not a suggestion thread for the developer)

To start off, I'll share my own.

1. LEARN TO NAVIGATE BY SHIP
Unless I'm wanting to just have a quick peek around to check out something concerning some planets, or I'm testing to make sure the engine is rending okay, I highly recommend navigating by ship. I recommend this if you would like your visit to any planet to feel more rewarding by putting in the little bit of effort to make the journey to it! Have you noticed that the faster in space you go in camera mode, the smaller everything feels? Therefore, my point is to travel in a way that keeps everything feeling large and majestic! My preferred ship is the SS Science.

2. SHIP AMBIENCE AND RADIO CHATTER
For additional immersion, I find myself enjoying using 1 hour+ long ship ambiance sounds from youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4MegRohzCY - for example), and on top of that, some military radio chatter (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XIsRQ1q_HA). These audio tracks increase the feel of realistic and serious "operations" taking place on the ship while traveling, setting up orbit, etc.

3. VOICE ATTACK
Although there are several options for voice macro programs and methods, I personally use the program Voice Attack (http://voiceattack.com). Using voice commands for certain controls improves immersion but also makes certain things more convenient to use, if you get creative! Just imagine what controls you would actually be hitting buttons at a console to do, and which maneuvers you would more likely be giving a command for someone to do instead. ;)

4. USE ZOOM AS TELESCOPE
When we're in camera mode, it's easy to just point, click, and hit G to instantly travel to see any location. However, in my method of traversing the galaxy, we don't have that luxury! If we want to see a remote location, we have to use our telescope! Point, click, PAGE UP! Becuase we're not leaving the ship, and we're not ready to travel to what we're looking at until we know what we're looking at, right?? It's also fun to setup orbit around a body, and use the telescope to zoom down to the surface and analyze its features from the ship. If we see an area that looks particularly interesting, we'll take a shuttle down to visit!

These are all the tips I have right now. I haven't yet learned how to efficiently fly down to surfaces with shuttles, so if anyone has any tips on that during this thread, its certainly appreciated!

Edit: Just some bonus tweaks as well, which are a lot more personal to my taste than the above might be:

5. REMOVING THE WARP BUBBLE
I don't really like the warp bubble around ships when in warp, as I like to be close to the ship while it travels and watch the stars go by properly. The warp bubble gets in the way of the nice view of this. So what I do, is unpack the shaders with the ships warp bubble, remove the ship warp shaders, and repack it and replace the original one with it. Now my travels are much nicer on the eyes (even at the expense of theoretical realism I admit).

6. CUSTOM MUSIC
While I do love the soundtrack that comes with SE, a lot of them tend to be a bit too stereotypically synthy for my taste. So I've downloaded the audio to several of my favorite epic sci-fantasy tracks from youtube into ogg format and filled my own playlist with them!

7. CAMERA FOLLOWS SHIP INSTEAD OF ROTATES WITH
When controlling my ship, setting the camera to follow instead of Rotate With makes managing my view A LOT easier when I have control of my camera and not the ship!

8. DISABLING GALAXY BACKDROP
My system's performance isn't too bad with SE, however, when disabling the galaxy backgrop (top button on the right panel), my frames jump up by at least 15fps, buttery smooth! as well as making "space" feel a LOT more vast and open! (like Star Trek).

Your turn!

Edited by Proteus - Wednesday, 22.06.2016, 00:38

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Tuesday, 21.06.2016, 18:06 | Message # 2
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote Proteus ()
So what I do, is unpack the shaders with the ships warp bubble, remove the ship warp shaders, and repack it and replace the original one with it.

You can always just make a blank file named ship_warp.glsl and the engine will then null the warp effect without having to risk corrupting core game files.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

ProteusDate: Tuesday, 21.06.2016, 18:17 | Message # 3
Explorer
United States
Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
You can always just make a blank file named ship_warp.glsl and the engine will then null the warp effect without having to risk corrupting core game files.

Honestly, I would agree that is a safer route. While my installation still runs great after taking out the shader, there has been a time in the past that SE did break after taking it out, resulting in me having to reinstall SE completely. It's odd because after trying it again after the installation and initial run, the file removal worked fine. I believe it wouldn't have broken at all through your method.

Good tip!

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Tuesday, 21.06.2016, 22:21 | Message # 4
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote steeljaw354 ()
I think this game needs some sort of star movement instead of just static positions. And if possible galaxy movement.

This is not the thread to discuss this.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

HornblowerDate: Wednesday, 22.06.2016, 00:23 | Message # 5
World Builder
United States
We should have a more simplistic interface like sclarinval suggested

MosfetDate: Wednesday, 22.06.2016, 00:30 | Message # 6
World Builder
Italy
Quote Hornblower ()
create this thread for everyone to share their own tips for tweaking settings and using various features in certain ways to make SE even more immersive, realistic, and practical.

Please stay on topic

"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Douglas N. Adams
My mods
Asus x555ub: cpu i5-6200u - ram 4gb - gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

ProteusDate: Wednesday, 22.06.2016, 00:32 | Message # 7
Explorer
United States
This thread is for tips for how we (users) use SE as it is - not tips to the developer. That is for the suggestion thread.

HornblowerDate: Wednesday, 22.06.2016, 00:33 | Message # 8
World Builder
United States
Quote Mosfet ()
Please stay on topic

I'm presenting a way to make it more practical to newer players
Quote Proteus ()
and practical.

MosfetDate: Wednesday, 22.06.2016, 00:56 | Message # 9
World Builder
Italy
Nope, I see a link to a previous suggestion of changing the interface by means of reprogramming, not tips on how to *tweak* or use the tools we players have at the moment. There's a difference as big as a planet. Furthermore, if the Original Poster says you are off topic, believe it or not, usually he's right.

"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Douglas N. Adams
My mods
Asus x555ub: cpu i5-6200u - ram 4gb - gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

Edited by Mosfet - Wednesday, 22.06.2016, 01:02

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Wednesday, 22.06.2016, 01:19 | Message # 10
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
If you want to improve visual quality, at the cost of a few frames or more depending on system, when flying around change the resolution scale to 1 in main.cfg

Like this

Code
TRFboResolution         1.000    // frambuffer resolution (fraction of window resolution)
TRImpResolution         0.333    // impostor   resolution (fraction of window resolution)
TRSkyResolution         1.00    // skybox     resolution (fraction of window resolution)
TREnvResolution         1.00    // environment map resolution (fraction of window resolution)

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

HornblowerDate: Wednesday, 22.06.2016, 01:53 | Message # 11
World Builder
United States
Sorry. Alright, here's one of my own to improve visual experience now that I understand the thread: When hanging out in intergalactic space, I like to turn up my mag limit on stars. This is the effect:

Now if only there was a way it could automatically turn up/down the mag limit for entering and exiting intergalactic space

Attachments: 9991390.jpg (184.6 Kb) · 1059229.jpg (183.7 Kb) · 5156395.jpg (172.2 Kb)

WindWpnDate: Wednesday, 22.06.2016, 02:16 | Message # 12
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
Great, thread, with voice attack, does anyone have a good/recommended profile based on stock SE controls?

Tip I recommend is Reshade and configuration via the Reshade Assistant in v2+. Works well with SE to additionally tweak/control visuals via Reshade.

Specs: Win7, i7950, 10GB ram, GTX970 (368.22), 500GB SSD

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Wednesday, 22.06.2016, 02:52 | Message # 13
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote WindWpn ()
Works well with SE to additionally tweak/control visuals via Reshade.

Reshade has some issues with SE. Water rendering and surface detail rendering are broken so you end up with no ripple effect on water and striping on land.

I have attached a star shader edit to this post for RC3, goes in data/shaders or addons/shaders

Old screenshot but it makes stars look like this

Attachments: star_point.glsl (2.3 Kb) · star_sprite.glsl (3.7 Kb) · star_sprite_blu.glsl (5.6 Kb)

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

n0b0dyDate: Wednesday, 22.06.2016, 07:39 | Message # 14
Explorer
Pirate
Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
Reshade has some issues with SE. Water rendering and surface detail rendering are broken so you end up with no ripple effect on water and striping on land.

I am using Reshade Mediator ver 1.1 and have active only 4 specific effects and none of these issues occur. Unfortunately I am at work right now and can't remember exactly which ones but I will give it a try:
1. Curves (power no more than 50%)
2. Crossprocess (power no more than 30-35%)
3. Lumasharpen or some short of sharpenning (power around 50 %)
4. some short of color balance that tweaks lows, midtones and high's but can't remember the exact name of the effect.

The only drawback is some minor fps drop.

When I go home I can post more info about it.

Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
I have attached a star shader edit to this post for RC3, goes in data/shaders or addons/shaders

Oh thank you Doctor that is the tweak I was missing from previous versions smile

Edited by n0b0dy - Wednesday, 22.06.2016, 07:41

WindWpnDate: Wednesday, 22.06.2016, 16:44 | Message # 15
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
does anyone have a Voice Attack profile for SE? That would be an excellent element to include for exploring within SE.

~S~
wind

Specs: Win7, i7950, 10GB ram, GTX970 (368.22), 500GB SSD

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Tips For Improving YOUR SE Experience! (Share Your Tips For Improving Your SE Experience!)
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search: