ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Wikipedia articles about SpaceEngine
Wikipedia articles about SpaceEngine
MassiveEffectDate: Tuesday, 01.11.2011, 21:27 | Message # 16
Space Tourist
Group: Users
Canada
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
Procedural craters are present in current version. And what lack of optical effects do you mean?

I translated the wiki from the german version I missed that it should not have been under limitations. wacko

I will look at some other wiki articles and learn how to rewrite the wiki in a good format. I will try to have it completed soon.

I7 2600k @ 4.5Ghz / 16GB 2133Mhz Ram / GTX 970 4GB / Crucial M4 SSD X 2 / Win7 64bit / 3840 x 2160 Resolution

Edited by MassiveEffect - Thursday, 03.11.2011, 07:01

SpaceEngineerDate: Tuesday, 01.11.2011, 23:59 | Message # 17
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
I cannot read German wiki - I don't speak German. It seems it needs correction too...

MassiveEffectDate: Wednesday, 09.11.2011, 00:06 | Message # 18
Space Tourist
Canada
I re-wrote the article to fit the wikipedia format. It looks more professional and cleaner and it is not a direct copy from space engine page.

Hopefully this time they will not delete it.

Link is here.
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Space_Engine

Any questions or comments feel free to ask here.

Added (09.11.2011, 03:06)
---------------------------------------------
And again they mark it for "speedy deletion". angry
If you look at other similar wiki pages they are almost identical yet the wiki moderators do not delete those I wonder why.

I7 2600k @ 4.5Ghz / 16GB 2133Mhz Ram / GTX 970 4GB / Crucial M4 SSD X 2 / Win7 64bit / 3840 x 2160 Resolution

SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 09.11.2011, 00:45 | Message # 19
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Can you write to the wiki moderators and ask them why they have deleted the article?

MassiveEffectDate: Wednesday, 09.11.2011, 07:42 | Message # 20
Space Tourist
Canada
I asked for an explanation and they gave me two.

Status and Advice

As reviewing administrator, I deleted it. The article was indeed hopelessly promotional, talking about minor details of the software, talking about the way the program hoped to be important after it got out of beta, talking about the overall general importance of the general subject and of program of similar purpose.

It might be possible to write a proper article, and I protected against further re-reation for a week to give you time to do so correctly. .

A Wikipedia article needs to show notability with references providing substantial coverage from 3rd party independent published reliable sources, print or online, but not blogs or press releases, or material derived from press releases. this article had no such references, and if there are none available, then it will certainly be deleted from Wikipedia no matter how it is written--if this should be the case, wait until you have such references. It's the normal assumption that a program in beta does not have them--full product reviews by thirdparties published in independent publications are the usual ones needed, but not mere mentions of the program.

Remember not to copy from a web site, even your own -- first it's a copyright violation, but, even if you own the copyright and are willing to give us permission according to WP:DCM, the tone will not be encyclopedic and the material will not be suitable.

Include only material that would be of interest to a general reader coming across the mention of the subject and wanting the sort of information that would be found in an encyclopedia. Do not include material that would be of interest only to those associated with the subject, or to prospective purchaser--that sort of content is considered promotional. Keep in mind that the goal of an encyclopedia is to say things in a concise manner, which is not the style of press releases or web sites, which are usually more expansive.

As a general rule, a suitable page will be best written by someone without Conflict of Interest; it's not impossible to do it properly with a conflict of interest or as a paid press agent, but it's relatively more difficult: you are automatically thinking in terms of what the subject wishes to communicate to the public, but an uninvolved person will think in terms of what the public might wish to know. If you think you can do it right according to our guidelines, do so, but expect the article to be carefully checked for objectivity and sourcing . 9 November 2011.

2>

Wikipedia can be very rough and hard on editor. They have hard and fast rules that the people who delet articles don't explain. You have to be able to take some being kicked around if you want to continue to edit here. I advise you not to take it personally, as this is the way they treat newbies in general, not just you.

It is very discouraging but the best way to go is to read lots of articles amd guidlelines/polices and read lots of articles to you can see what the rules are here. And look at the edit version so you can see the code.

Please feel free to ask my any questions, and I can try to help you with edition and formatting.

Best wishes, 9 November 2011"

Edited by MassiveEffect - Wednesday, 09.11.2011, 07:43

RobbieDate: Wednesday, 09.11.2011, 11:35 | Message # 21
Pioneer
Group: Global Moderators
United Kingdom
This all comes back to what I said previously: You have to write it in an unbiased fashion. I think the best way to get this article accepted on Wikipedia, is to start small, and keep all entries impartial and synoptic, don't embellish on anything. Remove superfluous adjectives, superlatives and hyperbole, keep it all very matter of fact. Start with very short precise paragraphs, and then see if it gets finally accepted by the wiki team. Once they accept your new article, then you can focus on adding more details to it. It will also help reduce your workload initially, without you worrying about another deletion, and ofc, wasting more of your time.

Short and sweet (but irrelevant) arbitrary example here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Abel_and_Associates

Quad Core i7 930 CPU o/c 3.8 GHz - 6GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM - ATI HD 5870 1024Mb - Intel SSD X25-M Gen 2 - Win 7 64-bit
Add Your PC Spec To Your Signature Or Post It Here

SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 09.11.2011, 13:37 | Message # 22
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
English wiki moderators seem to be very rigorous... Russian wiki has an article about SE, but it's written very badly, with lots of grammar and spelling mistakes, and hyperbole as mentioned above. And it still not moderated!

Antza2Date: Saturday, 06.10.2012, 13:17 | Message # 23
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
Finland
Has there been any progress?

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

SalvoDate: Saturday, 06.10.2012, 13:49 | Message # 24
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
Any article could be edited, so if you want you can fix mistakes of russian article, anyway, i'm gonna create it for Italian wiki, i already written an article for a videogame wink

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Engine

EDIT: What programming language did you used for Space Engine? xD

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

Edited by Salvo - Saturday, 06.10.2012, 15:50

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 06.10.2012, 15:08 | Message # 25
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (MassiveEffect)
A Wikipedia article needs to show notability with references providing substantial coverage from 3rd party independent published reliable sources, print or online, but not blogs or press releases, or material derived from press releases.

This will be the hardest criterium to meet, since not enough exist.

But I don't know why that would be a problem since there are so many other wiki articles out there that don't meet the same standards?

I would be happy to collaborate with anyone else here in writing, formatting, and posting the wiki article (that way they don't keep getting cross with the same person over the same thing repeatedly).

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

SpaceEngineerDate: Saturday, 06.10.2012, 16:00 | Message # 26
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote (Salvo)
EDIT: What programming language did you used for Space Engine? xD

C++

werdnaforeverDate: Sunday, 09.06.2013, 08:09 | Message # 27
World Builder
Pirate
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
But I don't know why that would be a problem since there are so many other wiki articles out there that don't meet the same standards?

Indeed. I think we should start writing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Werdnaforever/Space_Engine_(simulator)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki....ulator)

Here! Now, we can edit this ourselves, and once we all make it unbiased and wikipedia-worthy, we can make it into a real article.

Everyone, edit away!!!!!! I started something very basic, not even an outline, but it's something we can start working on.

EDIT: NOBODY SUBMIT THE PAGE sorry for the caps but I want to make it clear

Edited by werdnaforever - Monday, 10.06.2013, 19:02

SalvoDate: Sunday, 09.06.2013, 09:51 | Message # 28
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
Can I give a try? wink

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

werdnaforeverDate: Sunday, 09.06.2013, 18:12 | Message # 29
World Builder
Pirate
Quote (Salvo)
Can I give a try?

Yes yes yes!

Everyone try and add to this so we have an english wikipedia article! (No one subnit it)

I tried copying the box with the screenshot/software information over from the italian article and changing paramaters to english, and it's sowing up as a software article, but the screenshot isn't showing up. Someone who knows more about Wikipedia could do this stuff.

Edited by werdnaforever - Sunday, 09.06.2013, 18:39

DisasterpieceDate: Sunday, 09.06.2013, 19:40 | Message # 30
World Builder
United States
Just because Werdna wants to make it clear:

DON'T submit the page!

Added (09.06.2013, 22:40)
---------------------------------------------
I put down some sentences in functions, feel free to edit as you please.

I play teh spase engien

Edited by Disasterpiece - Sunday, 09.06.2013, 19:33

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Wikipedia articles about SpaceEngine
Search: