ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Space Journeys » Creating a video with SpaceEngine (A short tutorial on how to use inbuilt video capture system)
Creating a video with SpaceEngine
SolarisDate: Sunday, 02.09.2012, 14:12 | Message # 16
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
France
Quote (neutronium76)
Solaris can it compile TGAs to video?
Yes , no probleme with TGAs, there is a lot of tutos ( in French but i'm sure in English too ) around the web to how make it work and it's really easy, the perfect compiler imo !

neutronium76Date: Sunday, 02.09.2012, 14:42 | Message # 17
World Builder
Group: Users
Greece
Quote (Solaris)
Yes , no probleme with TGAs, there is a lot of tutos ( in French but i'm sure in English too ) around the web to how make it work and it's really easy, the perfect compiler imo !

Ok. I will give it a try later. It's my last attempt before I go back to FRAPS... dry

PC1:Core i7 970@3.34GHz, 6 cores/12 threads, 12GB DDR3 RAM@1.34GHz, 2x(SLI) GTX-580 GPUs 3GB VRAM(GDDR5)@1GHz, OS:Win7x64SP1
PC2:Core2Quad X9770@3.2GHz, 2 cores/4 threads 4GB DDR2 RAM@1GHz, GTX-285 GPU 1GB VRAM(DDR3)@1.24GHz, OS:WinVistax64SP2

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 02.09.2012, 15:00 | Message # 18
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (neutronium76)
It's my last attempt before I go back to FRAPS...

Ew, Fraps... there are better programs out there for recording than Fraps, or so I've heard. anonymousgamer has previously recommended MSI Afterburner, and one of my friends recommended Bandicam to me (I've looked at it and it looks quite good). So if the compiling doesn't work out for you, you can try a different video capture program than Fraps.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

SolarisDate: Sunday, 02.09.2012, 15:00 | Message # 19
World Builder
France
Few step to follow for Virtualdub:

- Open your images to compil by selecting the 1rst one
- set the frame rate (ctrl + R or Video)
- Filter ( not a obligation ) , usefull to adjust colors or size to the whole set of pics. ( ctrl+F )
- Compression, I use a xvid codec who do pretty nice work, but if you wanna edit and put sereval scene together in another software, I recomand no compression to avoid loosing quality , If you do that , the Avi file will be huge, you can compress it when the assembly of scene is done to avoid multi compressing.
- Save as Avi !

Keep in mind this is only for compiling image together, this way you can make many little scene, and stick them together with another software ( I think Virtualdub can do that too , but i never tried, I've only tried with the demo of sony vegas pro, quite easy too ! )

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 02.09.2012, 15:17 | Message # 20
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
HarbingerDawn's instruction for RAD Video is good, except that you don't need to convert to a bik and then convert to avi. You should just press directly "Convert" after selecting a list file. Also, choose a standard youtube framerate (29.8 and 59.6 or something like this, google it) to avoid automatic re-sampling when you upload the video to youtube.

I always make a list file by myself. It is simply a text file, so you can open it in notepad and type for example this:

Code

D:\Projects\SpaceEngine\screenshots\capture-07\????????.jpg*283-799
D:\Projects\SpaceEngine\screenshots\capture-00\????????.jpg*24-214
D:\Projects\SpaceEngine\screenshots\capture-01\????????.jpg*228-1099
D:\Projects\SpaceEngine\screenshots\capture-02\????????.jpg*0-1300
D:\Projects\SpaceEngine\screenshots\capture-03\????????.jpg*444-0
D:\Projects\SpaceEngine\screenshots\capture-04\????????.jpg*445-1071
D:\Projects\SpaceEngine\screenshots\capture-05\????????.jpg*843-21
D:\Projects\SpaceEngine\screenshots\capture-06\????????.jpg*2100-2539
D:\Projects\SpaceEngine\screenshots\capture-08\????????.jpg*0-400
D:\Projects\SpaceEngine\screenshots\capture-10\????????.jpg*300-499
D:\Projects\SpaceEngine\screenshots\capture-11\????????.jpg*1028-2260
D:\Projects\SpaceEngine\screenshots\capture-12\????????.jpg*1172-0
D:\Projects\SpaceEngine\screenshots\capture-13\????????.jpg*0-515
D:\Projects\SpaceEngine\screenshots\capture-20\????????.jpg*447-804
D:\Projects\SpaceEngine\screenshots\capture-14\????????.jpg*1552-2073
D:\Projects\SpaceEngine\screenshots\capture-20\????????.jpg*805-868

RAD understands the filename mask "?" and the "*0-515" means that it generates a list of files with these names:

00000000.jpg - 00000515.jpg

Take a look at this:

D:\Projects\SpaceEngine\screenshots\capture-03\????????.jpg*444-0

This means that RAD will generate the reverse list of files:

00000444.jpg - 00000000.jpg

So for example takeoff and zooming out from the planet will look like zooming in and landng.

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 02.09.2012, 15:46 | Message # 21
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
You should just press directly "Convert" after selecting a list file.

I thought that this might be the case, but when I tried to test it earlier it froze... anyway, I just gave the instructions the way I was taught to do it in 2006.

Quote (SpaceEngineer)
Also, choose a standard youtube's framerate (29.8 and 59.6 or something like this, google it)

Youtube can support videos with many different framerates, including 10, 24, 29.97, 30, etc. Any common framerate should be supported by Youtube. Since NTSC 29.97 is supported, I assume that PAL 25 is as well.

My SE mods and addons

neutronium76Date: Sunday, 02.09.2012, 16:26 | Message # 22
World Builder
Greece
Ok thanks to all of you guys! I am very tired with my eyes at the moment feeling really painful from looking at the monitor for so long. I will give each of your suggestions a try and do my reading and report the results later. Now I need a good evening rest. smile

REgarding the framerate: Do you suggest I stay with 25? Or shall I use a different one. I am confused. wacko

PC1:Core i7 970@3.34GHz, 6 cores/12 threads, 12GB DDR3 RAM@1.34GHz, 2x(SLI) GTX-580 GPUs 3GB VRAM(GDDR5)@1GHz, OS:Win7x64SP1
PC2:Core2Quad X9770@3.2GHz, 2 cores/4 threads 4GB DDR2 RAM@1GHz, GTX-285 GPU 1GB VRAM(DDR3)@1.24GHz, OS:WinVistax64SP2

Edited by neutronium76 - Sunday, 02.09.2012, 16:29

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 02.09.2012, 16:33 | Message # 23
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
I thought that this might be the case, but when I tried to test it earlier it froze...

RAD Video likes to think for a few minutes before showing codecs list, this is annoying but not critical.

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 02.09.2012, 17:20 | Message # 24
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
RAD Video likes to think for a few minutes before showing codecs list, this is annoying but not critical.

It never does that for me when converting Binks, so it must only happen with list files.

Quote (neutronium76)
Do you suggest I stay with 25? Or shall I use a different one. I am confused.

I suppose you can use whatever you're comfortable with. However I would recommend using the slowest possible framerate needed to generate good video (24 is good for this). This reduces size and number of frames needed.

My SE mods and addons

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Sunday, 02.09.2012, 17:27

scavengerDate: Friday, 28.09.2012, 09:47 | Message # 25
Space Tourist
France
hi

VIRTUALDUB is the best solution for still images conversion to video (AVI).
It's free, powerfull, and deadly easy to use.
I use it to create my mandelbulb3D or ultrafractal video files, and each time a program creates sequenced still images.

here is a little howto :

select file, open video file, select your first image :

as you can see it automatically loaded my 125 frames :

now fix the desired framerate :

then be sure full processing mode is enabled, then select video compression...

here you have a lot of choice for the codec. choose wisely...

codecs shown are those installed by default and those you installed using codec packs, such as Divx, Xvid, K-Lite codec pack, stuff like that. here is the options for DivX for instance :

making a multi-pass video with DivX or Xvid is the best solution but there are many other howtos on the net so I won't explain it here.
You can add audio too, the same way as video, but in selecting direct stream copy & select an MP3 the same lenght as the produced video, as an example. This should be done AFTER creating the video, coz you don't know the final time it will length.

Now go for File, save as AVI...

and the creation process begin

here you are done.

easy, wysiwyg, Virtualdub is your best friend !

neutronium76Date: Friday, 28.09.2012, 11:12 | Message # 26
World Builder
Greece
Looks promising scavenger! I will give it a try later.

SolarisDate: Sunday, 07.10.2012, 03:41 | Message # 27
World Builder
France
I have tried to make my 1rst video for SE some time ago, but I encountered a lot of problems at differents step (well, my pc isn't really built for that kind of stuff..), Too much difficulties due to hardware/software, so I give it up.

Anyway, I share it here, maybe it would give some ideas to anyone :
Try to imagine a catchy music who fit the sequences wink

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 07.10.2012, 10:55 | Message # 28
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Wow that a great video! Why you call it fail? All seems good, especially epic final ships flyby! Codec made some glitches, but I guess the video can be re-encoded?
One minor suggestion - flying through the galaxy at high speed with disabled motion blur is a bit odd, stars looks like noise.

SolarisDate: Sunday, 07.10.2012, 14:53 | Message # 29
World Builder
France
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
Why you call it fail?
because I haven't be able to do what I wanted with this video + many unavoidable glitchs..
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
Codec made some glitches, but I guess the video can be re-encoded?
Yes, but I tried differents codecs and always had the same laggy result.. I might give it another try later but I haven't very much hope with this laptop..

Quote (SpaceEngineer)
especially epic final ships flyby
the final ship passing in front of galaxy is just luck smile
For the ones who wonder : time is on pause, only the camera is moving.

Quote (SpaceEngineer)
One minor suggestion - flying through the galaxy at high speed with disabled motion blur is a bit odd, stars looks like noise.
Yes it is. I've motion blur disable 90% of the time and I like the feel you get when moving this way, but at that speed, yep it look odd.

Small advice for video makers : recording a sequence + keep in mind that it will be reverse later allow many cool possibilities

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 07.10.2012, 16:21 | Message # 30
Cosmic Curator
United States
I think everything from 3:25 and afterward was absolutely spectacular. Very enjoyable smile

My SE mods and addons

Forum » SpaceEngine » Space Journeys » Creating a video with SpaceEngine (A short tutorial on how to use inbuilt video capture system)
Search: