ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Space Journeys » Systems & Discoveries Database (My attempt to have a common Universe)
Systems & Discoveries Database
SalvoDate: Sunday, 11.01.2015, 16:10 | Message # 1
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
Description

This is my 1000th post, and I want to bring on this forum something I'm thinking about in these days.

The SSD (Systems & Discoveries Database) can be used until a common online database will be implemented. You can share the systems or the planets you found, using our program or posting here the code!

How?

To play SpaceEngine "online":

Download the .zip file from here, then put its content into the system directory of your SpaceEngine install folder.

And it's done, now just click on SpaceEngineSDD.vbs rather than SpaceEngine.exe to play SpaceEngine "online", and automatically load and share the object names from a common database.

You can easily make a link to the .vbs file like it was a normal .exe, and, if I'm not wrong, Windows also lets you set the SpaceEngine icon for it.

• Version 1.0.0 (requires Java) - *link not available*

NOTE: Using ReShade you might see different planets from what the expected to be, also I suggest you to do a backup of your db.cfg file.

To share the code of a system:

Go in the locale folder of your SE directory, open the file ...-db.cfg (where ... is the language you're currently using) and copy the lines of code that contains the system or the planets you want to share.

To find the right part of the code, remember that it starts with "PObject { " and ends with "}", and that after the word "LocName" there is the name you actually gave to it.

Where should I share my systems?

If you want to share some images of your systems, you can do that here. You can simply post the name of the object you found (or the code), some images of it, and if you want you can even write a back-story for it!

Alright, I'll start with these two:

NOTE: You may not be able to find some of these objects in the newest versions.
    Attachments: 9345586.jpg (246.3 Kb) · 8250961.jpg (125.5 Kb) · SpaceEngineSDD.zip (438.3 Kb)

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

Edited by Salvo - Monday, 07.03.2016, 10:07
  •  
    ProteusDate: Sunday, 11.01.2015, 16:46 | Message # 2
    Explorer
    Group: Users
    United States
    Quote Salvo ()
    A common document that everyone could edit would be also nice, but I have no idea how to do that.

How about a publicly shared online google spreadsheet?

SolarLinerDate: Sunday, 11.01.2015, 19:21 | Message # 3
    Explorer
    France
    That would require everyone to have a Google account, but with the variety of services Google offers, there's one that you already registered, thus now having a Google account, I'm pretty sure.

I'm all in for that! It would make some nice universal database.

custom landing page to share: http://bit.ly/spaceengine

SalvoDate: Sunday, 11.01.2015, 19:45 | Message # 4
    Star Engineer
    Italy
    Quote Proteus ()
    How about a publicly shared online google spreadsheet?

I may use Google Drive, but I don't know if I can avoid vandalizing...

RodrigoDate: Monday, 12.01.2015, 18:37 | Message # 5
    Explorer
    Brazil
    Would it be too hard to code a program that syncronizes this file with an online database?

SalvoDate: Tuesday, 13.01.2015, 15:50 | Message # 6
    Star Engineer
    Italy
    Quote Rodrigo ()
    Would it be too hard to code a program that syncronizes this file with an online database?

Yeah, but it's a good idea. I can definitely think about a simple java application that connects to a database and shares your code, that would be very nice.

If anyone of you have an idea to how to do that (if you know any free DB service, etc), just share it!

SolarLinerDate: Tuesday, 13.01.2015, 17:48 | Message # 7
    Explorer
    France
    I think I could code that, but yeah we need a free database storage space.

Also, how do we manage it? Do we parse the codes and store it or do we upload the whole script by itself?
    First one is a lot more sexy, allows refined (ie: by category, name, date found, etc.) but needs to have the DB and app updated with each update to the script system, the other is a lot simpler, but no fancy searches, however has maximum retrocompatibility.
    I have no problem implementing a parsing engine (if I make the app), so I don't care if we do or do not parse the script.

Also, what info do one needs to provide? Name, description, picture of planets, others?

Lastly, this is where a Space Engine URL protocol would have been super useful. Let the user click a link to open SE and let it fly by itself to destination ... top notch ! (I also have some ideas as off how to implement it, and maybe even an idea on how to "hack"-implement one now, I'll have to experiment on that).

Also I think the best way to develop and deploy this would be as a web app, but some people might be better with actual application that doesn't requite a browser to be launched.

That could totally be a thing !

FastFourierTransformDate: Tuesday, 13.01.2015, 17:52 | Message # 8
    Pioneer
    Spain
    Quote Salvo ()

That would be awesome. If we just could fly to a planet and know that anyone has encountered it before it would be awesome.

RodrigoDate: Tuesday, 13.01.2015, 23:52 | Message # 9
    Explorer
    Brazil
    I think this is the primary goal of SE, exploration and sharing.
    The problem implementing this is a language barrier.. the database file is specific to each language. I think we could set an english database nonetheless.

SalvoDate: Friday, 16.01.2015, 15:31 | Message # 10
    Star Engineer
    Italy
    Ok, I made a little java application.

It works fine with a local DataBase, but it seems like the Altervista's accepts requests only from their own servers. (So if you use a js script on a web page it works just fine)

Do you know any other free online DataBase service for that? wacko

Attachments: 6708979.jpg (105.8 Kb)

Edited by Salvo - Friday, 16.01.2015, 20:34

mikemoodDate: Saturday, 17.01.2015, 16:04 | Message # 11
    Observer
    Group: Newbies
    Pirate
    Hi all.
    I m not sure if this is the right place to post this, anyway i downloaded space engine 2 hours ago, after a few jumps i discovered this nice life-planet. It's all covered by ocean, and his rotation time is the same like revolution time, so one side is always frozen.

Attachments: 2686089.jpg (150.8 Kb)

SalvoDate: Saturday, 17.01.2015, 16:18 | Message # 12
    Star Engineer
    Italy
    Quote mikemood ()
    I m not sure if this is the right place to post this

Yeah, kind of. If you just want to share the images use this wink

SolarLiner, your suggestions were quite userful, what if I send you the code and we see if we can come up with something?
    It actually should save on the database the whole script, but doing a parse might also be a good idea!

Actually my app can:
  • Read main.cfg
  • Understand which language you're using
  • Read your ..-db.cfg file and save your data
  • Take the saved data and write your new ..-db.cfg file (with new data, eventually)

The next things to do are:
  • Reading/Writing on a SQL database (or any other kind)
  • Create a .bat file that launches first the .jar application and then SpaceEngine.exe (only after the .jar file finished his work)

Edited by Salvo - Saturday, 17.01.2015, 16:31
  •  
    SolarLinerDate: Saturday, 17.01.2015, 17:28 | Message # 13
    Explorer
    France
    Taking on a Java app will be a first for me ... I actually learned Java but it was some time ago and I never made anything with it, since C# is a much more suitable language for me.
    Might take some time to actually make anything out of it, but yeah why not?

For the database, after some thinking I think it's better to do the deconstruct-reconstruct method, that will take advantage of SQL and not something reduced to a file-based database storage.

Creating a .bat script is the simplest of all things to do here biggrin It's so simple I think you'll only need 3 lines of code to make it happen.

SQL I/O is simple, but one must create some kind of framework to simplify things. I know how to do that in C#, but in Java ...

Last thing, if we were to both work on the app, it'd be better to upload it on GitHub, because version control, issue tracking and other goodies.

SalvoDate: Friday, 23.01.2015, 19:43 | Message # 14
    Star Engineer
    Italy
    Done!

Sorry SolarLiner if I did it all alone in the end, but I'm not used to work with people online tongue

You can download our program on the opening post!

I didn't made any pictures of it, because the only thing you will see more than usual are... two message dialogs. (I might remove them too if they starts to be annoying)

RodrigoDate: Friday, 23.01.2015, 20:20 | Message # 15
    Explorer
    Brazil
    Amazing work! can't wait to try it.
    As I said before, this has potential to became the greatest SE add-on of all time.
    So, anytime I edit the information of a planet in SE, this synchronizes with an online database?
    Ps: You shoud put a warning that using Reshade with SE messes with the seed, thus making this addon unusable.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Space Journeys » Systems & Discoveries Database (My attempt to have a common Universe)
    Search: