ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Better night side lights transition?
Better night side lights transition?
ShadowRaikouDate: Friday, 12.08.2016, 07:38 | Message # 1
Astronaut
Group: Users
India
Currenty, in SE, night-side lights are not generally used much on a large scale (Cities), except say on Earth or some addons like the Star Wars addon.

But it looks like the lights magically turn on as the Terminator line moves across the planet, like as if there is barely any transition, it just turns on/off. This for some reason looks very unrealistic to me. Here are some images for comparison, with Celestia:

This is SpaceEngine, and here is Celestia.

Texture quality aside, the transition looks much much smoother in Celestia for some reason. What I'm saying will be better explained with Coruscant, in the Star Wars addon.

Coruscant in SE, the lights just cut at the terminator.

Coruscant in Celestia, for some reason a much smoother transition. Is this a problem with textures, or just the way how SpaceEngine does things? Because in space engine it feels like people turn their lights on just when it becomes totally dark, when in real life lights start turning on at dust/late evening, and turning off at early morning/dawn.

Edited by ShadowRaikou - Sunday, 14.08.2016, 04:26

SpaceEngineerDate: Friday, 12.08.2016, 09:59 | Message # 2
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Quote ShadowRaikou ()
it just turns on/off

But in reality they are indeed just turned on/off. No smooth transition.

Quote ShadowRaikou ()
or just the way how SpaceEngine does things?

Yes.

Quote ShadowRaikou ()
when in real life lights start turning on at dust/late evening, and turning off at early morning/dawn.

If I recall correctly, I adjusted moments of turning of lights by the schedule in my city:) It may looks like there is too dark lighting at these moments, but this is because SE don't have good auto-exposure to compensate lighting conditions.

ShadowRaikouDate: Friday, 12.08.2016, 15:16 | Message # 3
Astronaut
India
SpaceEngineer, Ah, I see. Yeah, I understand now. =)

But in cases of planets like Coruscant above, which is 90% lights, it doesn't look very good in SE. =/

fongjhDate: Sunday, 18.09.2016, 06:25 | Message # 4
Observer
Pirate
Quote SpaceEngineer ()

But in reality they are indeed just turned on/off. No smooth transition.

City lights are a manifestation of population behavior. People turn their lights on at different times, and they have different opinions about how dark it has to be before they turn their lights on. The result is that as the time approaches sunset, the fraction of buildings and street lamps with their lights turned on approaches 1, and this takes on the appearance of a smooth transition.

SalvoDate: Monday, 19.09.2016, 10:15 | Message # 5
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
Quote fongjh ()
People turn their lights on at different times

Yeah, it would be very nice if you could zoom in the texture and see the single lights that turns on/off, unfortunately it's almost impossible to make.

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Better night side lights transition?
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: