ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Forum » SpaceEngine » Troubleshooting and Solutions » Can some help me find the right setting
Can some help me find the right setting
PatriotDate: Monday, 12.01.2015, 02:32 | Message # 16
Observer
Group: Users
United States
IMO Intel makes the better CPUs, not because I don't have faith in AMD to innovate and create new and better systems its just that they are focusing their "CPU" development on AMD APUs which are going to take some time to evolve into something truly high end.

Basically from what I know AMD CPUs have stagnated and the technology used in them due to lack of developer focus is pretty old. Again not a bad thing, its just that their focus is in other places than standard CPU development. All that being said I've heard pure rumor that AMD may be working on an innovative 86 bit CPU infrastructure. - Although that's just rumor, poorly sourced too so it is what it is..

(By the way for gaming you don't want to cheap out too much when it comes to CPUs, while most AAA games will be optimized to use your GPU most especially with mantle, many indie games such as minecraft only utilize your CPU, and some games again such as minecraft only use 1 CPU core -_-)

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Monday, 12.01.2015, 03:23 | Message # 17
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote Patriot ()
I'd still take the R9 290xs more cores, and larger bus

Thats the most AMD thing

More cores and a larger bus won't take you very far if your drivers suck. I have used omega and I've used AMD/ATI on and off since 2000. I have used nvidia on and off since 2005 and I can tell you from experience over the past 10 years that Nvidia overall has had far better performance, far better support, and far better drivers.

Quote Patriot ()
(By the way for gaming you don't want to cheap out too much when it comes to CPUs, while most AAA games will be optimized to use your GPU most especially with mantle, many indie games such as minecraft only utilize your CPU, and some games again such as minecraft only use 1 CPU core -_-)

I've been running my 1090T since 2011 and it still works just fine on modern games. The only bottlenecking I have noticed on my end is with my PCI-e 2.1 slot for my 760 when it is a PCI-e 3 card.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

PatriotDate: Monday, 12.01.2015, 03:54 | Message # 18
Observer
United States
You've been using Omega since 2000? Interesting because the Omega I'm referring too isn't the ancient third party driver source, its the recent release ( 2 months ago? ) As for your comment about good hardware being useless without good drivers, it simply doesn't apply here anymore ( and in all seriousness as a past Nvidia user, even in the past the quality of drivers on the green side has been just as bad ) regardless Omega solves all of these issues.

(Its kind of a running gag really, if any Nvidia user things that their drivers are of any higher quality they don't know what the heck they're talking about.) - As said, Omega solves the problem entirely.

IF you want to look at the software side of things, you can't get much better software side performances increases than mantle, I mean in many cases it gives you around a 60-100% performance increase, solving the issue of FPS drops in intense scenes. It just makes sense that a Graphics company makes a Graphics API. Nvidia either needs to support mantle, or create their own API anything else and I just couldn't take them seriously anymore as DirectX sucks comparatively.
You're talking to a person who first discovered what "aliasing" was from the Nvidia control panel. I too have "experience" and spend a LOT of time on tech forums as well. ( Comparing AMD's quality from the year 2000 to now is, simply invalid ) - Same goes for Nvidia as it wasn't any peach back then either.

In conclusion, its such an Nvidia thing to say "AMD drivers suck" and for what ever reason thinking yours are any better? they're not. In fact now yours are most certainly worse. Please look up the new Omega drivers, the thought process behind releases new AMD drivers has completely changed for quality assurance and "If it ain't broken don't fix it"

To sum it up simply, AMD now releases new drivers ONCE PER YEAR, a LARGE driver update that is 100% quality assured. This does NOT mean we will not get driver support for potential problems that may come up with new games or technology, any such issues are updated immediately. Basically the days of rushed broken drivers are over, and in Omega's case it gave a 20% performance boost to AMD cards across the board (making old menchmarks out of date btw)

When I think AMD, I think value, and horsepower.

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Monday, 12.01.2015, 04:53 | Message # 19
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote Patriot ()
You've been using Omega since 2000?

Well yeah, I am a time traveler after all.

Quote Patriot ()
As for your comment about good hardware being useless without good drivers, it simply doesn't apply here anymore

It does apply considering I still use ATI and Nvidia.

Quote Patriot ()
regardless Omega solves all of these issues.

I have Omega installed right now, it is literally no different than previous ATI/AMD drivers besides a few added features. Most of the added features are gimmicky rip offs from Nvidia drivers, such as "Virtual Super Resolution" which is a direct rip off wannabe of Nvidia DSR and not even a good one at that.

Quote Patriot ()
I mean in many cases it gives you around a 60-100% performance increase, solving the issue of FPS drops in intense scenes

On what cards, on what machines?

Quote Patriot ()
( Comparing AMD's quality from the year 2000 to now is, simply invalid )

Considering I still use it and have used ATI/AMD for all these years it is not invalid. They have made improvements but they are still behind Nvidia.

Quote Patriot ()
its such an Nvidia thing to say "AMD drivers suck"

No, its an objective viewpoint backed by years of experience.

Quote Patriot ()
and for what ever reason thinking yours are any better? they're not.

Nvidia drivers are better than AMD, it is just a fact. Personal preference or opinion doesn't play in or compare to the evidence. The vast majority of issues in games from poor performance to crashing tends to come from AMD users. I experience most of my issues in OpenGL programs while using my AMD GPU, I experience far worse performance on my AMD card then on any of my Nvidia cards including ones that are weaker. There is no fault in the card. The AMD drivers and support in games is just not as good as it is for Nvidia.

Quote Patriot ()
and in Omega's case it gave a 20% performance boost to AMD cards across the board

Show me the evidence. I can pull up all my benchmarks pre-omega and with Omega on my AMD GPUs and show that the performance gains were minimal at best.

I am not an Nvidia fanboy nor am I an AMD fanboy. I just stick primarily with what works best.

Quote Patriot ()
When I think AMD, I think value, and horsepower.

You can put a 16 core processor into your PC but it won't matter if none of the games support it. You can stick 3 Titan Z blacks into your computer and again it won't matter if the games and programs do not support it. Horsepower is useless without support. Support both on the game developer side and the driver side and on both fronts ATI still suffers in comparison to Nvidia. Not to mentioned Nvidia works with developers in many cases and makes an effort to get support for their hardware. SpaceEngine had a driver error with Nvidia and Nvidia actually did something about it. AMD has a driver error and I would be willing to bet that they will never do anything to fix it on their end.

My 760 4GB out performs the R9 280X in most cases that I have benched it and it runs games in higher framerates in 4k resolution. The 760 is also cheaper than the 280X. I have also seen many comparisons between the R9 290X and the GTX 970 and even though the R9 290X is slightly faster the 970 outperforms it in most games. Once you add in the fact that the 970 has better OpenGL support, uses less power, has full developer support, and is cheaper you just can't argue that Nvidia doesn't offer the better product.

The last time I saw AMD ahead of Nvidia was in 2008 when they offered DirectX 10.1 and more advanced rendering in games.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

PatriotDate: Monday, 12.01.2015, 15:39 | Message # 20
Observer
United States
LOL, I can see this argument is going no where, Even before Omega its not like AMD users are just suffering from "Mass Driver failure" I've only had 2 different occasions where I've had a Driver problem with AMD in the past 4 years and both of those were on the Beta drivers and all I did was revert to official release drivers. - Simple.

Secondly, what programs are you having issues on? contact AMD support its likely you may have a dud card. (Nvidia ships those off too) "Open GL support" - has been vastly improved and even in the past it never developed crashes lol.. I just find it odd that you clearly have not used an AMD card recently and your only argument is that "Drivers be broken" - WHICH IS TOTALLY FALSE.

You said that VSR was a "worse copy of Nividia's DSR "which is a direct rip off wannabe of Nvidia DSR and not even a good one at that. " Okay this really shows legit resentment for AMD. First off its not a "RIP OFF" because we're talking about a TECH COMPANY, Nvidia made something cool and AMD released their OWN version of the tech (And by the way, AMD's version is BETTER because its easier to access, all I have to do is change my resolution IN GAME, at any time I like)
^ So, A rip-off or tech company competition? I'd be SAD if AMD didn't create their own version of great technology I mean look at Nvidia they have't made their own API yet and they are worse off for it.

VSR > DSR - Easier to use.

As for mantle and what systems, it gives performances increases on ALL SYSTEMS. For instance my old R9 270x pared with Intel Core i7-3820 CPU 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz got 40 FPS on Zavod 311 on the forest side looking at the buildings in BF4 ( an intense scene ) With mantle it got 68 fps. (Test done standing still at same point, and disabled it again to make sure)
^ My R9 290x gets even better gains, at the same location but this time all ultra 8x AA super sampling I got around high 40s mid 50s in FPS, not suitable for me. With mantle turned on I got 110 FPS. - 110 FPS. Now with mantle with my increased settings (1440p VSR) I NEVER go below 75 fps as my refresh rate is over clocked to 69 hertz.
Mantle is legit. (By the way, Mantle is open source too which means there are some guys trying to get Nvidia cards to support it, which would be great for you) Mantle is awesome because it works best during those intense scenes where before you would get frame drops (OR games like civilizations (BE) actually, where there is a lot of units on screen, now I never go below my 69 fps with V-syn enabled)

As for Omega performance increases, my old R9 270x (which was used when Omega came out) Got at least 15% extra gains in performance, even in games like Kerbal space program!) I'd only assume my R9 290x currently is getting similar benefits < APUs got the largest performance increase.

In the end, there is no such thing as "Driver issues" on AMD right now if you're on Omega. And you're clearly exaggerating past issues too, its NEVER been as bad as you've described. I've never heard such claims.
^ Seriously there are no issues everything has been tested, and I wont have to worry about a big update for another year ( giving them time to add more features, and more importantly quality assure them )

PS: It just occurred to me maybe you blame normal software issues and crashes like AC unity on Drivers for some reason? Situations like that is just bad programming on the side of the game, or maybe a modded skyrim crash, again not a driver issue and can be fixed via some googling. Maybe KSP crash? again just the nature of KSP with mods ( or just 64 bit ) Space engine crashes occasionally but think about how LARGE IT IS, certainly not a driver issue.

^ A driver issue, as I've seen it on beta drivers is (just one example, issues vary obviously) when the water in something like spintires disappears because of some type of shader used or something. ( and maybe Nvidia users having issues getting space engine to run at higher resolutions with lens flare reducing in size. although not sure if they all use Nvidia my AMD card certainly doesn't get that problem. ) Or maybe some type of graphical artifacts. Not usually "generic Crashes and poor performance" - although beta drivers in the past have reduced frames a bit, so did Nvidia driver releases. Difference was AMD complaints was on beta drivers.

PPS: "My 760 4GB out performs the R9 280X" Benchmarks show otherwise, not calling you a liar but it is what it is, AMD performs better and for much cheaper prices. By the way, based off your older CPU "running fine" I just have to ask what is your definition of "running fine" ? When I say "running fine" I mean 100% NO FPS DROPS below my monitor's refresh rate of 69 hertz. On older hardware or lower end hardware that means reducing settings to get that performance(although I always keep AA at least4x), currently my 290x simply runs it full ultra no worries. ( and I get the added benefit of increasing special graphic over rides such as VSR ) Do you play BF4? If so I'd be interested to hear what FPS you get with your current Nvidia card and on what maps compared to your 280x's performance. (I would need to know an average frame number, and what game settings including any over rides)

^ Given that information I may be able to help determine a possible different issue ( Maybe the PSU is not sufficient for your AMD card, as the 280x takes a fair amount of power compared to Nvidia cards, or perhaps Nvidia for what ever reason works better on lower end CPUs? never heard of that before though but bottlenecks can be finicky issues. I am interested to hear about the performance of your 280x though as I can directly compare it to my older 270x. How much watts does your PSU put out? and is it at least gold rated? - Even gold rated PSUs are only guaranteed to put out 80% of the labeled energy at any given moment., platinum is 90% or 100% and copper is somewhere below 80%.

EDIT: The R9 280x I looked up on new egg said it requires a minimum of 750 watts! my R9 290x doesn't even require that! insane. - I just found another one that says a 500 watt PSU is required, so I guess it depends on what after market card you buy and what cooler. I recommend an 800 watt PSU at least gold rated. ( I use 1000 watt )

Edited by Patriot - Monday, 12.01.2015, 17:05

sykesDate: Monday, 19.01.2015, 19:34 | Message # 21
Space Tourist
United Kingdom
I have an AMD Radeon HD 7310M graphics card the driver is version 9.12.0 would it be advisiable/better to update the driver? Seems to have some graphics problems particularly when landing on planets - mars earth etc look fuzzy with no features. Or could anyone recommend a dedicated graphics card - my laptop is a Toshiba AMD with an E1-1200 APU processor with Radeon HD graphics 1.40GHZ and 6GB RAm anyone able to help? Thanks sad

WatsisnameDate: Monday, 19.01.2015, 19:36 | Message # 22
Galaxy Architect
United States
sykes, read the forum rules and the first post of the stickied troubleshooting thread. What you are encountering is normal behavior -- solar system planets do not have procedural detail.

awiselimeyDate: Saturday, 24.01.2015, 21:40 | Message # 23
Observer
Group: Newbies
Pirate
I completely redid my PC
Specs
Space Engine runs great now...
Processor

Intel Core i3 4150

•Operating speed: 3.5 GHz

•Number of cores: 2

•Socket: LGA1150

•4 threads

Memory

6 GB

•Amount: 6 GB

•Speed: PC3-10600 MB/sec

•Type: DDR3-1333

Model
BrandEVGAModel02G-P4-3757-KR

Interface
InterfacePCI Express 3.0

Chipset
Chipset ManufacturerNVIDIAGPUGeForce GTX 750 TiCore Clock1189MHzBoost Clock1268MHzCUDA Cores640

Memory
Effective Memory Clock5400MHzMemory Size2GBMemory Interface128-BitMemory TypeGDDR5

3D API
DirectXDirectX 11.2OpenGLOpenGL 4.4
______________________________________________________________________________________

rajeshgupta1234Date: Thursday, 21.01.2016, 09:06 | Message # 24
Observer
Group: Newbies
Pirate
You can enter a 16 core processor into your computer if you get more problem then contact with technical support like tech health experts

snowballpudiDate: Friday, 29.07.2016, 05:54 | Message # 25
Space Tourist
United States
Help from anyone please. Is there a way i can modify SE exposure so that it doesnt keep going back to the default mode every time a start the program over?

SpaceEngineerDate: Friday, 29.07.2016, 07:37 | Message # 26
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
No you can't.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Troubleshooting and Solutions » Can some help me find the right setting
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Search: