ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » some questions about coding (plus a game i would like to make)
some questions about coding
hunterbickel2003Date: Thursday, 08.12.2016, 16:10 | Message # 1
Astronaut
Group: Users
Pirate
well since im in the teen age, im not really good at coding, nor have i ever done it. my question is how easy is it to code a algorithm for a sci-fi game that includes planet types. biomes, and buildings along with procedurally generated rooms?

the game i would make in the future is called Interstellar. Interstellar, is a universal sci-fi game that includes life, buildings, dungeons, weapons (alot), gear (like huge amounts), procedurally generated ships for you when you enter the game, Npcs, weather.

the game is a single/multiplayer horror, sci-fi, sandbox, exploration, first person shooter game all in one.

i figured out a way to load in all this stuff. you will have to modes outer space mode and planet mode. planet mode will show you a map of the planet. terra and terra like planets with have continents and regions in continents, then areas. if a desert or planet with no water/lava, then there will be procedurally generated regions(alot of them like 1000 probably) then areas. you can only explore one area, if you try to go to another, you will be blocked off and have to go by ship. and structures will not be in two regions at once.

if you have any questions or ideas about the game, please comment here

AlekDate: Thursday, 08.12.2016, 19:33 | Message # 2
Pioneer
United States
I'm a teenager too, but I do know that what you're talking about is an absolutely huge undertaking, especially with the addition of procedurally generated content. Though, don't let that turn you down, it just means you'll have to do a lot of learning to get to the point where you can actually make Interstellar, and it may be a good idea to have some people help you, as thats quite a large task for one person, but if SpaceEngineer is any example, one person can make a very complex game with enough time, support and the knowledge needed to actually get it done. If you just want to jump in and start working on Interstellar, that may not be the best idea, since coding (and especially coding very complex things like what you're talking about) needs to be started on a good base (meaning simpler code that you can heavily expand on and not be too messy about it, as the messier it is the harder it'll be to find and fix bugs and to add new features the way you want them to be) You just need to learn, and the best way to do that is to get experience with it, do it, make mistakes, and then have to fix those mistakes so that you can keep on. Though, you should have a hands-on approach, you probably shouldn't do the majority of your learning on the big project (Interstellar) and instead work on other, smaller, easier things until you think you are able to go for the big project and do a good job of it. Now, very little of this advice have I myself put into practice, but it is things I have learned from people who have and it really helped them.
Another idea, that my be much easier, is to learn as much as you can about coding until a version of Space Engine comes out that features the ability to develop your own game within the engine; after all, if you don't use a previously made engine to run the graphics for your game, you'll have to develop the engine yourself, but (if you're willing to let your game have a similar look to it as Space Engine) it would probably be much easier just to use Space Engine as your..well...engine, for your game since Space Engine is designed to be a realistic space simulator and it will be similarly so when the game development feature comes along. Just saying it may be easier, not pushing it on you that you should do this either, since if you want your game to have its own "look" of "feel" to it, using an engine developed by someone else probably would become more difficult than just developing your own engine, since using one you didn't make would mean you have to do a lot more work making it look the way you want instead of building it to look the way you want.

I hope his helped and gave you an idea of what path should be taken instead of just a wall of text full of the ramblings of a madman which isn't helpful at all smile Also, if I said some confusing things, or just stuff you don't understand or know the meaning/nature of, just say what it is and I'll try to re-explain in a less confusing or in a...better...way.

Living among the stars, I find my way. I grow in strength through knowledge of the space I occupy, until I become the ruler of my own interstellar empire of sorts. Though The world was made for the day, I was made for the night, and thus, the universe itself is within my destiny.

hunterbickel2003Date: Friday, 09.12.2016, 00:45 | Message # 3
Astronaut
Pirate
thanks for the (long but i read it) reply. the good thing is i have a book about coding on python but i dont think that will help much. also if i use space engines, i will have to modify it a bit to get the region and area thing right?

edit 1:also it has the feel of minecraft (alot of items and non-procedurally generated creatures), no mans sky (space stations, and structures), and space engine (accurate planets and space)

edit 2:another thing is the map of the game. there is universe map, galaxy map, and solar map. universe map is searchable by using coordinates of sectors of the universe, same with galaxys but you are in a galaxy. planetary map is a map of the solar system and the left is the star with a plus sign. click the plus sign and you will get a bunch of tabs that are planets. focus on tabs and you get basic info, click the tab if you want moons and space stations (if there is any) should i use space engine or do i need a new engine?

Edited by hunterbickel2003 - Friday, 09.12.2016, 01:12

AlekDate: Saturday, 10.12.2016, 04:09 | Message # 4
Pioneer
United States
No problem. Learning to code in Python would help if you developed this game in Blender, but also will also help in learning to code in other languages since they are all at least a little similar. Yes, if you use space engine to develop it, you will have to make the region thing I'm sure, but how hard that will be is unknown since right now space engine isn't at that point yet so I don't know how hard it would be to actually do.

This all could, with a lot of work, be made in space engine, but it also may be easier just to make your own engine for that depending on how far it strays from what space engine will be when game development can be done in space engine.

Well, in that case you're talking about making a new UI (user interface) so it wouldn't be the engine you'd be changing/creating in this case, but I don't know whether UI creation will be included with the SE game development, but it probably will be.

Living among the stars, I find my way. I grow in strength through knowledge of the space I occupy, until I become the ruler of my own interstellar empire of sorts. Though The world was made for the day, I was made for the night, and thus, the universe itself is within my destiny.

hunterbickel2003Date: Thursday, 22.12.2016, 07:06 | Message # 5
Astronaut
Pirate
ok thanks

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » some questions about coding (plus a game i would like to make)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: