ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Linux Discussion (Place to ask and talk about Linux.)
Linux Discussion
Antza2Date: Saturday, 14.05.2016, 22:57 | Message # 16
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
Finland
Quote werdnaforever ()
Most other distros have GUIs which look terrible

I can't really think of a linux GUI i would consider as looking absolutely terrible. LXDE is ugly, but it has a good reason for that. I guess my least favorite DE would be MATE just when talking about aesthetics. Right now i have unity on my laptop and PC. While i'm not a huge fan of it, i feel it best serves my needs.

Quote werdnaforever ()
I recently rediscovered Gnome 3

I too gave Gnome 3 a good try just few weeks ago. It would be the best DE for my laptop usability wise, but the performance was terrible. Everything felt laggy and i had tearing issues. Sad really, since i really like where Gnome is going. sad

Quote werdnaforever ()
I've spoken a lot about GUIs, which some might disregard as a minor point because they are focused on the technical benefits of different distros. But as far as I'm concerned, the GUI is a critical detail, as it determines how I interact with my computer, which ought to be as painless and efficient as possible.

I completely agree with this. There are crazy people out there who think that anybody can just pick up a CLI and use it with no problem. This is a major reason why many people are scared away from linux. I can't even remember how many times i've suggested linux to people with computer issues and the answer i got was that they can't deal with CLI. Linux developers need to get into their heads that we don't live in the 90s anymore and people just aren't comfortable with the command line. Luckily projects like Linux Mint have made big efforts on this area.
Quote werdnaforever ()
Linux doesn't have portable applications by default.

Yeah, and there isn't really any other reason for this than a philosophical one. I hear that the new Snappy packages in Ubuntu should fix this issue, which would make a whole lot of things a lot easier later down the line.
Quote werdnaforever ()
So, when SE is ported to Linux, my guess it will be on Steam before it is distributed any other way.

It's either that or make a dedicated repository for SE. This would limit SE to be compatible with just Ubuntu, which is not that great when the steam layer can make it work with almost any distro out there.
Quote werdnaforever ()
And I refuse, refuse, refuse to ever call it GNU + LInux.

As do i. It is a horrible name and even Stallman must realize that. A name like that will never gain market appeal. "Linux" isn't very media sexy either, but i feel it's too late to change it.
Quote werdnaforever ()
Say what you want about Microsoft but I'll take MS Office over LibreOffice in a heartbeat.

LibreOffice team really needs to step up their game. MS Office is one of the two reasons why i still need windows partitions on my machines. It's a real pain in the butt to start up Win10 for some text editing and then having to deal with all the accumulated updates. dry

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 15.05.2016, 05:54 | Message # 17
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote Antza2 ()
LibreOffice team really needs to step up their game. MS Office is one of the two reasons why i still need windows partitions on my machines. It's a real pain in the butt to start up Win10 for some text editing and then having to deal with all the accumulated updates.

I haven't really used any MS Office products since the 2003 versions, what makes MS Word so superior to LibreOffice Writer for creating basic word documents? I've found the latter to be quite satisfactory for all of my needs.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Antza2Date: Sunday, 15.05.2016, 16:33 | Message # 18
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
Finland
Well for basic stuff LibreOffice works fine. My university just requires most assignments to be returned in .docx format and LibreOffice still has issues with that on some features like contents menu and custom page numbers.

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

haagchDate: Thursday, 26.05.2016, 00:27 | Message # 19
Observer
Group: Newbies
Germany
Quote werdnaforever ()
I have a Clevo laptop. I still can't change my screen brightness, or do anything to my multi-colored keyboard backlight... like turn it off or change the color. I want to change the colors. I paid for this useless feature and want to use it on Linux! Dont get me started on the wireless card issue. I ended up giving up and swapping out the killer networks card for an Intel. I'll have to sell it on amazon or something.

I have a P170EM and screen brightness setting and keyboard backlight work fine.

For the display backlight: Look in /sys/class/backlight/. Is anything in there? For example at times I have seen two different controls appear there and one didn't work, but was chosen by default by the desktop utilities. Try something like
Code
sudo sh -c "echo 1 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness"

For the keyboard backlight: There are no official drivers, but for several Clevo models it has been reverse engineered.
Here is a collection of the different drivers that have been written: https://github.com/franontanaya/clevo-wmi/
I'm using clevo-wmi/code-dump/clevo-wmi-code-b5d8a0d3f9cb4f20b39018d25ba9f313ad1b10ba because it's the only one of those that provide convenient device files under /sys/devices/platform/clevo_wmi/kbled/ so I could hack a little GUI for it together. Video with potato quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sTybzfvlsU (but the GUI probably only works for the P170EM).

Unfortunately the support is a mess, but you can look into the c files, some of them have nice lists of supported hardware. For example, tuxedo-wmi supports P370SM-A, P17SM-A, P15SM-A/SM1-A, P17SM, P15SM; clevo-wmi-0.9.6 supports P15SM, P17SM, W230ST, W350STQ/W370ST, W65_W670SR, W740SU; etc.

There is one vendor, System 76, that sells them with Linux, but they don't freely distribute the drivers (what they offer for download looks at your system and determines whether you bought it from them or not; you have to run a specific Ubuntu distro). So that doesn't work. They'd be out of business otherwise, I guess, because you can buy the same laptops from dozens of other vendors (xoticpc FTW), but they don't offer Linux/Linux driver support.

Eww. You should ask them anyway. Who knows, maybe they'd actually release something.

werdnaforeverDate: Sunday, 05.06.2016, 18:34 | Message # 20
World Builder
Group: Users
Pirate
Quote Antza2 ()
I can't really think of a linux GUI i would consider as looking absolutely terrible. LXDE is ugly, but it has a good reason for that. I guess my least favorite DE would be MATE just when talking about aesthetics. Right now i have unity on my laptop and PC. While i'm not a huge fan of it, i feel it best serves my needs.

Maybe terrible wasn't the right word, but often you find lots of inconsistencies, unpolished areas, badly spaced layouts, or plenty of other design choices/mistakes which make graphic designers cry. All the little things add up. Even Windows suffers from this.

johnnysloganDate: Saturday, 03.12.2016, 12:14 | Message # 21
Observer
Group: Newbies
Denmark
Hello,

It says on the homepage, that 25.000 dollars collected means native Linux-support. It is a long time since that goal has been reached, but still no native Linux-support. Will that ever happen, or was it just a mock goal to get Linux-people to post money into the project?

MosfetDate: Saturday, 03.12.2016, 12:48 | Message # 22
World Builder
Group: Users
Italy
The author wrote in that same page:
Please note: these are approximate funding goals and some of implemented functionality (marked with color). When funding goal is met, it means that there is enough money to pursue that goal, not that the features of that goal have been implemented.

Also, since the main goal is having an engine stable and with all main implemented functionalities completed, SpaceEngineer elsewhere said that he'll work on Linux and Mac portings when SE will reach 1.0.
I guess it makes sense reaching stability with the main code and only then working on portings, instead of having to battle with three different OS versions with its own peculiarities at the same time, when you are a lone coder.

I hope this helps dispel your doubts.

"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Douglas N. Adams
My mods
Asus x555ub: cpu i5-6200u - ram 4gb - gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

Edited by Mosfet - Saturday, 03.12.2016, 12:49

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Linux Discussion (Place to ask and talk about Linux.)
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Search: