ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » General Global Warming / Climate Change Discussion (because a thread for this was long overdue)
General Global Warming / Climate Change Discussion
DoctorOfSpaceDate: Thursday, 08.09.2016, 21:53 | Message # 181
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
I drink so many carbonated beverages I am probably a leading contributor to global warming at this point. happy

Quote spacer ()
i am the only one in this world that hate coke?

Tastes like motor oil to me, and yes I know what motor oil tastes like

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

WatsisnameDate: Thursday, 08.09.2016, 22:08 | Message # 182
Galaxy Architect
United States
Hahahaha

HornblowerDate: Friday, 09.09.2016, 00:10 | Message # 183
World Builder
Group: Users
United States
Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
Tastes like motor oil to me, and yes I know what motor oil tastes like

So your saying coke tastes like motor oil? Hmm, I found a new alternative to coke! (I wonder what would happen if I drank motor oil)

steeljaw354Date: Friday, 09.09.2016, 00:11 | Message # 184
World Builder
Pirate
I think that we should start going Nuclear and Solar. Cars need to gradually switch over to electric.

HornblowerDate: Friday, 09.09.2016, 00:26 | Message # 185
World Builder
United States
Quote steeljaw354 ()
I think that we should start going Nuclear and Solar. Cars need to gradually switch over to electric.

This is exactly what is happening. It is just going at a slower rate than we'd like to see.

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Friday, 09.09.2016, 00:39 | Message # 186
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote Hornblower ()
(I wonder what would happen if I drank motor oil)

Well the body won't really digest it well and it can dissolve the mucus along the esophagus, in the stomach, and throughout the digestion tract and cause irritation or bleeding and potentially enter the bloodstream. Lets just say if we ignore the other negative effects if you avoid getting sick it is going to be messy. Your body will do whatever it can to get those substances out if the concentration is high enough.

Depending on what is in the oil you decided to chug down you are looking at all kinds of other health concerns. You could be looking at kidney, liver, heart, or even brain damage, though this is of course if it gets into your blood.

Motor oil and other hydrocarbon substances tend to be fairly reactive and that tends to not go well with biological systems. Many like carbon tetrachloride are hepatotoxic and once it goes through phase I metabolism creates free radicals and binds with hepatic macromolecules and causes lipid peroxidation. This leads to the formation of necrotic tissue in the liver and a bad time. The chances that the motor oil you are consuming would contain carbon tetrachloride are slim, but it doesn't cover all the other chemical compounds or metals that could be in the oil, all of which have equally devastating effects on the body.

Basically don't start drinking motor oil.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

HornblowerDate: Friday, 09.09.2016, 00:49 | Message # 187
World Builder
United States
I wonder how you know what it tastes like.
Back on topic, how would climate change affect deep sea life (as in life deep enough that there is no sunlight)?
Obviously, an increase in carbon might affect it.

Edited by Hornblower - Friday, 09.09.2016, 00:54

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Friday, 09.09.2016, 00:58 | Message # 188
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote Hornblower ()
I wonder how you know what it tastes like.

Work on cars or motor vehicles long enough and things will spray or drip. A drop is all it takes to know how it tastes, the smell alone will tell you it isn't good.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

spacerDate: Monday, 12.09.2016, 16:31 | Message # 189
Star Engineer
Israel

"we began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

-space engine photographer

midtskogenDate: Monday, 12.09.2016, 18:41 | Message # 190
Star Engineer
Norway
This puts the recent warming into perspective, but the reconstructed historic record has much less resolution than the 20th century record. It indicates that temperature never changed more than about 0.15C per century before modern time, which is almost certainly bollocks.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Edited by midtskogen - Monday, 12.09.2016, 18:46

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Monday, 12.09.2016, 19:26 | Message # 191
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
midtskogen, to quote a family member of mine

Earth was warmer during the time of the dinosaurs and there was more life, obviously climate change is a good thing for life

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

steeljaw354Date: Monday, 12.09.2016, 19:34 | Message # 192
World Builder
Pirate
Climate change will displace millions of people, cause flooding and warming. I don't see how that is good for us in the present.

WatsisnameDate: Monday, 12.09.2016, 20:17 | Message # 193
Galaxy Architect
United States
It's a good figure, but I'd rather see what we do know of the short period variations and the error bars because that gives a better impression of the changes that do occur and our understanding of them.

Quote midtskogen ()
It indicates that temperature never changed more than about 0.15C per century before modern time, which is almost certainly bollocks.

Things that can change global temperature faster than this are large volcanic eruptions and meteorite impacts. The magnitude of the change is large, but so fast and brief (timescale of years) that they generally vanish when short-period variations are smoothed, like Randall says on the figure.

Without the smoothing, one can see the effect the volcanic forcing has:

When one is interested in global change during the last 10,000 years or so, it is correct that there is no comparison to the present warming. Multiple research teams have independently arrived at the 'hockey-stick' figure. And one rather expects this result upon understanding the different things that affect Earth's temperature, and how they have changed over time.

If we look back beyond 10,000 years, the closest analogue to the present warming is the PETM. Which was caused by a comparable magnitude of CO2 emission into the atmosphere, raised global temperatures by several degrees C and changed ecosystems everywhere. We are now doing essentially the same thing, and we appear to be doing it faster.

WatsisnameDate: Monday, 12.09.2016, 20:27 | Message # 194
Galaxy Architect
United States
Quote Hornblower ()
Back on topic, how would climate change affect deep sea life (as in life deep enough that there is no sunlight)?
Obviously, an increase in carbon might affect it.

It would affect them on a timescale tied to the ocean circulation, which takes about a thousand years. We know from the PETM that the warming temperatures caused extinction in creatures in the benthic zone.

More information on the climate change and effect on ecosystems during the PETM. It's a fascinating period of Earth history. smile

midtskogenDate: Monday, 12.09.2016, 20:43 | Message # 195
Star Engineer
Norway
Quote Watsisname ()
Multiple research teams have independently arrived at the 'hockey-stick' figure

It's difficult not to get anything else than a hockey stick. A fundamental problem with reconstructions is that they're noisy. You can reduce noise by adding multiple reconstructions, but it has a smoothing effect, so you're pretty bound to get something flat. And when you match the end with the early instrumental record, you get a hockey stick.

We don't really know the global temperature thousands of years back in time. We do know a little about conditions locally here and there, but global temperatures will be educated guesses. Grafting the instrumental record onto these reconstructions is equalling educated guesses with instruments and should be avoided.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » General Global Warming / Climate Change Discussion (because a thread for this was long overdue)
Search: