ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Astrophotography (Post your astrophotos here)
Astrophotography
HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 24.08.2012, 05:40 | Message # 16
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
This isn't astrophotography but its what I usually do with cameras

Great shot! I've taken my fair share of flower shots as well, they can look so wonderful when they turn out well.

Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
I have a Canon 550D.

Lucky! I'd love to have something like that. I have a 1000D sad

Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
I was using a Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens. Have to use a tripod for obvious reasons.

I have a nearly identical lens. It's not flashy, but considering its price it can perform quite well.

Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
Would have been better to use a lower ISO and a longer exposure.

Yes. When shooting the sky at 300mm, objects will not start noticeably trailing until longer than 1/10 sec or so, so don't be afraid to let it run a little long. ISO 1600 and 1/10 sec exposure will net you a nice shot of the Galilean moons.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Friday, 24.08.2012, 05:49 | Message # 17
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
ISO 1600 and 1/10 sec exposure will net you a nice shot of the Galilean moons.

That should help. Next time the sky is clear I'll give it a go and post results. Going to be getting a couple new lenses soon, mostly for nature shots though. Might get myself a 500-1000 lens or a telescope with a camera mount.

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
I have a nearly identical lens. It's not flashy, but considering its price it can perform quite well.

It works wonderfully during daytime being held but at night you have to use a tripod for it sadly. My smaller lens has that Canon image stabilizer and it makes night shots, even on a lower ISO, come out really nicely.

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Lucky! I'd love to have something like that. I have a 1000D

Lucky indeed I got it as a gift.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 24.08.2012, 06:25 | Message # 18
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
My smaller lens has that Canon image stabilizer and it makes night shots, even on a lower ISO, come out really nicely.

Image stabilization has never really helped me out all that much, not enough for me to praise it anyway. I've never given it a true test though so I don't know how much help it does or does not give me. But the vast majority of my shots are either daylight or tripod at night so it doesn't make much difference. I'd love to have it on a telephoto though.

Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
Might get myself a 500-1000 lens or a telescope with a camera mount.

At that size level you're probably better off going with a telescope. A decent lens that size is extremely expensive.

My SE mods and addons

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Friday, 24.08.2012, 06:36 | Message # 19
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
A decent lens that size is extremely expensive.

So I've seen

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
At that size level you're probably better off going with a telescope

Probably the best option.

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
I've never given it a true test though so I don't know how much help it does or does not give me.

It works surprisingly well. I did a few comparison shots when testing it out. Morning, noon, dusk, and night and for all of them the image stabilizer helped keep most of the image from blurring.

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
I'd love to have it on a telephoto though.

This is still dependent on exposure time, but it might help in longer exposures if you don't have a remote and have to touch the camera. That is why I plan to get a telephoto lens with it, plus I'd like a few nicer lenses.

Some info on how it works with a telephoto
http://www.mir.com.my/rb....ex5.htm

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

Edited by DoctorOfSpace - Friday, 24.08.2012, 06:37

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Saturday, 01.09.2012, 12:44 | Message # 20
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
So after all this time we finally had some clear skies here.

Sorry about double post but I'd rather not edit my previous one as it is over a week old and the edits may go unnoticed for a while.

I tried to get Venus but I ran into an issue, I can't seem to get the image any clearer than a purple glowing blob, same thing happens for Jupiter. I did get a remote control for my camera though so I can get much clearer images.

Mirror lock/low ISO/high exposure/Remote on Orion

And last night and this morning was that "Blue Moon" thing and I decided to try out the settings you recommended. The quality doesn't seem to be much better than the previous Moon image. The image quality though may be due to my lens fogging up from the humidity, I had to continually clean it while outside.

I did take quite a few images of the Moon but that is the best I could get with my settings.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

Edited by DoctorOfSpace - Saturday, 01.09.2012, 12:49

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 01.09.2012, 13:44 | Message # 21
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
I can't seem to get the image any clearer than a purple glowing blob, same thing happens for Jupiter.

For Venus and Jupiter you have to use very short exposure to resolve the planets themselves. Fairly similar to the Moon exposures, in fact.

And is that Venus in the picture?

Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
Mirror lock/low ISO/high exposure/Remote on Orion

If you want to get some detail in the Orion nebula, use a higher ISO (800+) and long exposure (15+ sec). Things will start smearing a bit, but the nebula will really start to show itself off.

Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
I did take quite a few images of the Moon but that is the best I could get with my settings.

That looks good. With your camera and lens setup I wouldn't expect anything too much better than what you have there. The real test is on a night where you can see shadows and terrain on the Moon. Try again in a week and see how it looks smile

My SE mods and addons

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Saturday, 01.09.2012, 14:15 | Message # 22
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
And is that Venus in the picture?

It is.

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
For Venus and Jupiter you have to use very short exposure to resolve the planets themselves. Fairly similar to the Moon exposures, in fact.

I tried that on Jupiter but sadly due to humidity there was just no way to focus it properly. I'm going to wait till later this month and into October when the humidity goes down. I should be able to get better images then.

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
If you want to get some detail in the Orion nebula, use a higher ISO (800+) and long exposure (15+ sec). Things will start smearing a bit, but the nebula will really start to show itself off.

I tried a 800 and a 400 ISO but the light pollution is so bad it has the opposite effect. I was using a 200 ISO in that image if I remember correctly. I'll give a higher exposure and 400 ISO a try soon.

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
The real test is on a night where you can see shadows and terrain on the Moon. Try again in a week and see how it looks

I will give that a try but I think I can squeeze a bit more quality out of my camera when the weather isn't so humid.

Here is an image I took this morning while the Moon was going down. Little bit of distortion but the Moon looks larger.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 01.09.2012, 14:33 | Message # 23
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
I tried a 800 and a 400 ISO but the light pollution is so bad it has the opposite effect.

Yeah, light pollution kills it :/

My SE mods and addons

SolarisDate: Sunday, 02.09.2012, 00:18 | Message # 24
World Builder
France
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Here's a picture I took this morning of Venus, Jupiter, Orion, and the Hyades and Pleiades star clusters
blink It look really nice, so smooth and peacefull ! Nice catch HarbingerDawn,
DoctorOfSpace, I love your moon pics, you should try to shot it when it rise, or with few clouds smile

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 12.09.2012, 19:25 | Message # 25
Cosmic Curator
United States
This one's pretty old, it was after the launch of ATV-002 "Johannes Kepler". The spacecraft can be seen in orbit (the streak) in the dusk sky.

The Moon and Jupiter, thanks to DoctorOfSpace for suggesting that I switch to RAW!

My SE mods and addons

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Wednesday, 12.09.2012, 19:31 | Message # 26
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
thanks to DoctorOfSpace for suggesting that I switch to RAW!

Its a nice format, it just sucks not too many programs support it.

How did you take that Moon picture anyways?

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 13.09.2012, 00:17 | Message # 27
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
How did you take that Moon picture anyways?

Just the camera on a tripod. It was rushed because there were clouds all morning, and by the time that a few gaps in the coulds began to sneak by the sky was already well on its way to daylight, so I could get no shots of the moons (I was PISSED angry ) But I managed to snatch a few shots at the pair through the occasional gaps in the clouds.

Another new one, this time of Jupiter (the Jupiter glow from the moons exposure has been edited out and replaced with the Jupiter disc from a different exposure).

My SE mods and addons

WatsisnameDate: Monday, 17.09.2012, 04:47 | Message # 28
Galaxy Architect
United States
I love your shots, HarbingerDawn, especially the one of the moon and Jupiter together. smile

It's been a while, but every now and then I try my hand at lunar and planetary astrophotography. Here are a couple of my favorites:

Mars on Jan 31, 2012.

Jupiter, with Great Red Spot, on Feb 7.

Saturn on Feb 18.

Lastly, the cratered surface of our neighboring temperate selena. happy

DaninAusDate: Monday, 17.09.2012, 08:03 | Message # 29
Space Tourist
Group: Users
Australia
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Another new one, this time of Jupiter (the Jupiter glow from the moons exposure has been edited out and replaced with the Jupiter disc from a different exposure).

I was gonna say that those moons looked massive compared to Jupiter. surprised Nice job though, I could never dream of getting the gear to do that sort of stuff on my tight budget.

Quote (Watsisname)
Here are a couple of my favorites:

They are some good pictures mate, keep 'em comin' cool

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 17.09.2012, 12:29 | Message # 30
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (DaninAus)
Nice job though, I could never dream of getting the gear to do that sort of stuff on my tight budget.

This gear cost me $700. You could probably do a lot better than that used. It is possible to do some good stuff with lower-grade equipment, any DSLR is capable of shots like that. If you decide that you want something like this and just save up a little money, eventually you can afford it. That's what I did.

Quote (Watsisname)
It's been a while, but every now and then I try my hand at lunar and planetary astrophotography.

Wow, those shots are great! What kind of equipment do you have?

My SE mods and addons

Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Astrophotography (Post your astrophotos here)
Search: