ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » 2017 solar eclipse (Discussions about the 2017-08-21 total solar eclipse)
2017 solar eclipse
DoctorOfSpaceDate: Friday, 25.11.2016, 03:59 | Message # 16
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Here I was thinking you would be making the trip east. I will be outside of Clarksville on the border of Kentucky/Tennessee.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

WatsisnameDate: Friday, 25.11.2016, 04:34 | Message # 17
Galaxy Architect
United States
Oh! Yeah, I'm staying west. Totality won't last quite as long here (about 124 seconds), but it's a lot more convenient. I hope you have good luck in Kentessee!

midtskogenDate: Friday, 25.11.2016, 07:57 | Message # 18
Star Engineer
Group: Users
Norway
What are the rules for setting up a tent in the US, where is it allowed? The totality zone is big, and to be stuck in a commercial camp site is a bit of a gamble.

The tent reservation in Solar City @$75, that's per tent, right? And I wasn't quite able to figure out how parking works if you spent a few nights in tents.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

WatsisnameDate: Friday, 25.11.2016, 08:53 | Message # 19
Galaxy Architect
United States
Quote midtskogen ()
What are the rules for setting up a tent in the US, where is it allowed?

The best answer I can provide is to copy a post by flagstuff on lonelyplanet:

Quote midtskogen ()
The tent reservation in Solar City @$75, that's per tent, right? And I wasn't quite able to figure out how parking works if you spent a few nights in tents.

I'm reading the FAQ, and for Solar City (the area set up in the farmlands north of town) that charge is per space, which is 20x20 feet (6x6 meter). You can have everything you want (besides obvious contraband or fires) including your vehicle in that space, provided they fit. I'm assuming this means you can also have multiple tents there.

There is also a parking area available if you aren't camping out. But either way I would be concerned about mobility on eclipse day. If everyone decides to chase good weather that morning, I expect a traffic nightmare. There aren't any good roads west (there lie mountains), and the main route east is two-lane highway 26 with small towns and few services. So if you go with Madras, hope to have good lead time to move if necessary, or else stick with the gamble of the climate statistics.

The next best place along the track is probably around Idaho Falls. It is a river valley with similar climate, but with the perk of having a larger area of open farmland with a road grid for mobility and spreading out. It might be less crazy traffic-wise than Madras.

East of that is more mountains until you get to Wyoming. Between the towns of Riverton and Capser is excellent. Not quite as good weather as farther west, but still very good. And, being further from the populated coast should help reduce road traffic, I would guess. And highway 20 basically parallels the center line for 160km.

Farther east still you get into the plains. This is good for wide open space with mobility and low traffic, but at the expense of higher risk for clouds. The risk of clouds continues to increase east from there, peaking in the Blue Ridge mountains.

midtskogenDate: Friday, 25.11.2016, 09:35 | Message # 20
Star Engineer
Norway
Thanks. If they're saying that the space can be used for a car, I'm assuming that it will also be possible to navigate the car back to the road without running over neighbouring spaces, though I'm a bit confused how they plan this.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

WatsisnameDate: Friday, 25.11.2016, 10:08 | Message # 21
Galaxy Architect
United States
Yeah, that's a good question. On the ticketfly page they say Camping spots are sold ONLY as a 5 day block reguardless of whether you stay for 1 day or the entire 5 days. Which implies you must be able to arrive or drive off at any time. It's an open field so they must have room for paths for vehicles to drive between camp sites. Buuut... I still wouldn't want to bank on this assumption. Maybe try shooting them an email and ask how they're setting that up.

Another good question is, if it turns out you can't drive off from the campsite at any time, then can you do so from the early arrival parking area they're setting up nearby.

midtskogenDate: Friday, 25.11.2016, 11:39 | Message # 22
Star Engineer
Norway
Quote Watsisname ()
Maybe try shooting them an email

Done. I'll post the reply here.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

WatsisnameDate: Friday, 25.11.2016, 11:45 | Message # 23
Galaxy Architect
United States
Cool, thanks. I'm curious about that, too.

WatsisnameDate: Saturday, 26.11.2016, 10:59 | Message # 24
Galaxy Architect
United States
Just realized something. From the fields north of Madras, several Cascade volcanoes are visible: Hood, Jefferson, and the Three Sisters.

Mt. Jefferson (3200m) is about 50km to the west, and is very close to the eclipse centerline. Totality reaches this mountain 54 seconds before it reaches Madras, so this should provide a good visual cue of the approaching shadow (and its speed -- almost a kilometer per second!)

Mt. Hood (3425m) is about 90km NNW of Madras, and 20km north of the northern limit of totality. Similarly, the Sisters are just south of the southern limit. So not only will it be possible to see the surrounding "twilight" of the sky which is outside the umbral shadow, but parts of the landscape which are outside of totality as well. If someone takes a fish-eye time-lapse there, it would surely be interesting.

I imagine some climbers might try summiting Mt. Jefferson that morning too. Or at least I hope so. The view would be spectacular. smile

midtskogenDate: Saturday, 26.11.2016, 22:44 | Message # 25
Star Engineer
Norway
So I asked about the camping layout, whether it would be possible to come and go at any time without running over other spaces, and the reply was:

Yes the camping will set up so you can come and go with a vehicle.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

WatsisnameDate: Sunday, 27.11.2016, 01:26 | Message # 26
Galaxy Architect
United States
That's great. It occurred to me that they are probably required by law to set it up that way, since if someone had a medical emergency or something then it'd be a big problem if you couldn't drive out easily.

midtskogenDate: Sunday, 27.11.2016, 08:13 | Message # 27
Star Engineer
Norway
Quote Watsisname ()
It occurred to me that they are probably required by law to set it up that way, since if someone had a medical emergency or something then it'd be a big problem if you couldn't drive out easily.

I hope it's allowed in the US to pitch a tent even where an ambulance can't reach you. smile

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

WatsisnameDate: Sunday, 27.11.2016, 08:38 | Message # 28
Galaxy Architect
United States
I mean for the camping area they're prepping in that field. Of course in general you're allowed to camp in some insanely remote or hard to reach areas, like on the side of a mountain. biggrin

Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » 2017 solar eclipse (Discussions about the 2017-08-21 total solar eclipse)
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Search: