ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Asteroids, meteors, and meteorites (Everything related to space rocks.)
Asteroids, meteors, and meteorites
steeljaw354Date: Saturday, 13.08.2016, 13:48 | Message # 241
World Builder
Group: Users
Pirate
I only saw like 5 of them as the clouds were rolling in, didn't get images

WatsisnameDate: Saturday, 13.08.2016, 16:31 | Message # 242
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Quote midtskogen ()
Was that smoke trail visible with the unaided eye?

If it was, I didn't notice it. I had no idea I captured it until I reviewed the images and went "oh, that's neat!"

I did see quite a few plasma trains, usually lasting for a few seconds. And I have no idea how many meteors in all -- I gave up counting. Probably over a hundred, and about a dozen bright ones.

Quote midtskogen ()
Perseids are annoyingly fast.

Ahaha, I was muttering the same thing, myself. At ~60km/s, it's a blink and they're gone.

spacerDate: Saturday, 13.08.2016, 17:42 | Message # 243
Star Engineer
Israel
yeah i saw one with smoke with my eyes. i think its because it was pretty big meteor and it survived longer and reached less heigh above the ground. smile

"we began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

-space engine photographer

BambusmanDate: Saturday, 13.08.2016, 20:47 | Message # 244
Pioneer
Group: SE team
Germany
seems like today is also a lucky day for me. the sky is clear and i already saw 3 even though the moon is out.

midtskogenDate: Saturday, 13.08.2016, 22:43 | Message # 245
Star Engineer
Norway
Quote Watsisname ()
Ahaha, I was muttering the same thing, myself. At ~60km/s, it's a blink and they're gone.

I recorded one sporadic meteor that night, and just by looking at it, it was evident that it wasn't a Perseid. 60 km/s is way into the upper speed range for meteors. This particular sporadic travelled at 17 km/s.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Edited by midtskogen - Saturday, 13.08.2016, 22:44

soapstermoavinisDate: Monday, 22.08.2016, 09:38 | Message # 246
Observer
Pirate
Just came back from holidays and during that time i saw an pretty large amount of perseids.Sadly durng 12th of august the sky was almost 100 percent covered with clouds and i could only see about 10 bright perseids before the clouds covered the radiant.But those 10 meteors were AMAZING!They seemed to have an bluish hue one or 2 left smoke trails behind them.Fortunatly for me the next few days had an clear sky so I enjoyed the perseids to the max.I think this was my best experience ever.Let's hope the Geminids will be as awsome as the perseids

Edited by soapstermoavinis - Monday, 22.08.2016, 09:38

WatsisnameDate: Thursday, 29.09.2016, 02:27 | Message # 247
Galaxy Architect
United States
I recently ordered two new meteorites, which just arrived in the mail today:

First is a cut of Allende, a witnessed fall and an extremely well-studied meteorite. A primitive carbonaceous chondrite, it is made of materials accreted directly out of the solar nebula, and reveals details of the formation of the solar system. It is older than anything of this world, and even the world itself.

The second is a pallasite. I've been wishing for one of these for a long time. smile These come from the boundary region between the core and mantle of differentiated asteroids. The core is made up of the dense metals, while within the mantle grow large single crystals of olivine. Mixed together at the boundary, and then shattered free in a large collision, and eventually improbably crashing on Earth... when recovered and thinly sliced, there is revealed a rare beauty. There is a total of about 10 tons of known pallasite, which is only about 3.5% of the mass of all recovered meteorites, and a fraction of the total mass of diamond mined each year.

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Thursday, 29.09.2016, 03:37 | Message # 248
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Very cool slices, but those must not have been cheap.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

WatsisnameDate: Thursday, 29.09.2016, 07:17 | Message # 249
Galaxy Architect
United States
Yeah, pallasites in particular are not cheap. They're comparable to buying platinum by weight. Other types can actually be reasonably cheap to buy though.

soapstermoavinisDate: Sunday, 09.10.2016, 18:21 | Message # 250
Observer
Pirate
Awsome slices!I also bought a meteorite a couple weeks ago.

WatsisnameDate: Sunday, 09.10.2016, 21:43 | Message # 251
Galaxy Architect
United States
soapstermoavinis, nice! What did you get? smile

steeljaw354Date: Sunday, 09.10.2016, 22:42 | Message # 252
World Builder
Pirate
What would be the best asteroid to live on that doesn't orbit a planet? And isn't round?

spacerDate: Sunday, 09.10.2016, 23:03 | Message # 253
Star Engineer
Israel
Watsisname, awesome meteorites!!!
in few years i might want some too. how and from where you can buy meteorites pieces?
its very cool smile

"we began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

-space engine photographer

HornblowerDate: Sunday, 09.10.2016, 23:11 | Message # 254
World Builder
United States
steeljaw354, any asteroid accept for Chariklo. Just build inside the asteroid and you have a natural shield from space debris

steeljaw354Date: Monday, 10.10.2016, 00:45 | Message # 255
World Builder
Pirate
Hornblower, I could imagine 43 eros would make a good asteroid base, hollowing the inside out for space, and mining the inside out.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Asteroids, meteors, and meteorites (Everything related to space rocks.)
Search: