• Page 3 of 3
  • «
Forum » SpaceEngine » Development Status » Procedural Galaxies
Procedural Galaxies
smjjamesDate: Sunday, 23.09.2012, 22:59 | Message # 31
World Builder
Group: Users
United States
I was going to make a new thread in feedback/suggestions, but this is probably more relevant to my question since it's about the procedural galaxies (and a side one on the catalog galaxies).

Since there isn't a whole lot of variety in the procedural galaxy models, I was thinking of suggesting adding more procedural galaxy models. However, in doing a search for relevant threads, I found a list of galaxy models already in SE and of course, this thread.

So, are you going to add some new galaxy models for procedural galaxies until the procedural model generation gets set up?

Also, as a side suggestion, maybe add some models for the named galaxies such as Circinus?

Oh yea, some of the spiral galaxies seem kind of rarified with nebulae. I know every galaxy is different and some have less gas in them, but I'm just not sure how it should be for catalog spirals. I do realize that smaller galaxies would have less showing up, but ah, I'm just wondering and rambling off a bit. Plus I have no idea about how nebula density should be anyways.......

Edited by smjjames - Sunday, 23.09.2012, 23:14

SolarisDate: Monday, 24.09.2012, 00:10 | Message # 32
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
France
Quote (smjjames)
So, are you going to add some new galaxy models for procedural galaxies until the procedural model generation gets set up?
I have also suggested to implement the possibility to add many differents customs galaxies (like for nebulaes) in the hubble's model file until the release of procedural galaxies, it would be ephemeral but enjoyable, especialy for long time users.

Quote (smjjames)
Also, as a side suggestion, maybe add some models for the named galaxies such as Circinus?
I'm working on severals others galaxies models, but they won't be used for procedural generation. Also you can see this thread or try to do your own galaxy if you have paints skills :), the process is not that hard.

Quote (smjjames)
Oh yea, some of the spiral galaxies seem kind of rarified with nebulae.
This is due to imprecisions in the objects map of the galaxy and won't be anymore with futures procedurals models, but yes , some catalogs galaxies maps could be more accurate.

smjjamesDate: Monday, 24.09.2012, 20:09 | Message # 33
World Builder
United States
Quote (Solaris)
Quote (smjjames)
I'm working on severals others galaxies models, but they won't be used for procedural generation. Also you can see this thread or try to do your own galaxy if you have paints skills :), the process is not that hard.

I did see the modding thread and the 8 galaxy models thread, however at least two of those (AM0644 and Arp 273 are already in SE, so I don't now how that would affect things. For making my own, ah, I don't know, would Paint.NET do?

Quote (Solaris)
Quote (smjjames)
I have also suggested to implement the possibility to add many differents customs galaxies (like for nebulaes) in the hubble's model file until the release of procedural galaxies, it would be ephemeral but enjoyable, especialy for long time users.

Yeah, there are only 5 models used for the procedural galaxies and having some variety wouldn't hurt.

lexrazorDate: Friday, 01.02.2013, 18:35 | Message # 34
Astronaut
Bulgaria
Ok i dont know if this is the right thread where i should be asking this or if it's been asked already but ill try my luck lol

It's about the procedural generation algoritms in the engine. I was wondering how does the algoritm determine where the procedural objects should be placed in space? Is it random or predetermined? Or does it calculate the locations based on how the cataloged objects are placed in space?

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 01.02.2013, 19:22 | Message # 35
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
It is based on catalog object placement and algorithms that govern the realistic distribution of objects, so you have more stars closer to the centers of galaxies than at the edges, nebulae/open clusters/blue giants only in the plane of the galaxy, galaxies arranged into clusters and filaments which outline voids, etc.

That's the basic answer, I'm sure SpaceEngineer could give a much more detailed and technical one.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

lexrazorDate: Saturday, 02.02.2013, 17:47 | Message # 36
Astronaut
Bulgaria
I understand. So the exact location of a procedural object is still random but based on the realistic distribution of real space objects we've observed so far.

CryoStratosDate: Friday, 20.02.2015, 09:37 | Message # 37
Observer
Group: Newbies
Poland
It's been two years. How is the procedural generation of the large-scale universe and individual galaxies going?

DeathStarDate: Friday, 20.02.2015, 12:23 | Message # 38
Pioneer
Croatia
Quote CryoStratos ()
It's been two years. How is the procedural generation of the large-scale universe and individual galaxies going?

It won't be going in any way until it actually becomes something SpaceEngineer is working on. Right now, SpaceEngineer doesn't seem to be working on this(there are other more pressing priorities to be implemented first), so the answer is - this is not currently being developed.

ElkarDate: Saturday, 21.02.2015, 05:25 | Message # 39
Space Tourist
United States
Oh god yes make that sloan great wall! biggrin

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

FastFourierTransformDate: Saturday, 21.02.2015, 10:50 | Message # 40
Pioneer
Group: Local Moderators
Spain
Quote CryoStratos ()
How is the procedural generation of the large-scale universe and individual galaxies going?

And the procedural large scale structure of the universe is in the current version is quite accurate (with filaments of galaxies and voids). Individual galaxies would have to wait I think. A procedural generation of galactic structure would be visually less realistic and beautifull than the current models, so we are only going to see that probably after the procedural generation archieves better looking aspect than those textures (a lot of development is needed that hasn't started yet).

Quote Elkar ()
Oh god yes make that sloan great wall! biggrin

Well, that's not procedural. You can try the addon of the Sloan data in this thread, that contains 104 million real galaxies that you can add to Space Engine!!

Forum » SpaceEngine » Development Status » Procedural Galaxies
  • Page 3 of 3
  • «
Search: