Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Development Status » Work progress - 0.9.8.1
Work progress - 0.9.8.1
HornblowerDate: Friday, 19.08.2016, 22:50 | Message # 31
World Builder
Group: Users
United States
I've figured out the easiest way to create rocks/boulders on the surfaces of planets is just to make a duplicate of the mountain terrain and make them very small, tall, and frequent

steeljaw354Date: Friday, 19.08.2016, 23:14 | Message # 32
World Builder
Pirate
Image?

HornblowerDate: Saturday, 20.08.2016, 01:13 | Message # 33
World Builder
United States
I'm not sure how to add a new variable to the edit menu, but imagine this on a much smaller scale as a separate variable (or biome or whatever you would call them) these could exist all surfaces additive to the regular mountains. I am bad at these sort of explanations.

Attachments: 9878485.jpg (279.1 Kb)

simonecinque1992Date: Saturday, 20.08.2016, 08:52 | Message # 34
Pioneer
Italy
Hornblower, Cool

My Mods and Addons

Packard Bell
Windows 10 Pro
Intel® Celeron® CPU 1000M @ 1.80GHz 1.80 GHz
4 GB
64 bit Operative System

SpaceEngineerDate: Saturday, 20.08.2016, 12:45 | Message # 35
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Quote Hornblower ()
I'm not sure how to add a new variable to the edit menu, but imagine this on a much smaller scale as a separate variable (or biome or whatever you would call them) these could exist all surfaces additive to the regular mountains. I am bad at these sort of explanations.

This won't work. Terrain tessellation ends at a resolution roughly 10 meters per triangle, due to lack of precision of floating-point numbers. You may change PlanetDetailTerra in main-user.cfg from 0.01 to 0.001 and see what'll happen.

Donatelo200Date: Saturday, 20.08.2016, 16:15 | Message # 36
Explorer
United States
I actually have the terrain detail set to 0.002 with practically no artifacts. Any lower though does cause some.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012)
RAM: Unknown 16G-D3-1600-MR 2x8GB
MBD: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition (MS-7922)

yaqdarkDate: Saturday, 20.08.2016, 22:23 | Message # 37
Astronaut
Pirate
Oh man can't wait to get 0.9.8.1, thanks SO much for adding VR support! When can I get my hands on it? :)

I also set the eye separation to max on the DK2 version you had, it was glorious having galaxies wash into my eyes like tiny specs of dust <3

PLEASE make a second window so we can record in VR. I will sell your game (as I already am) on my youtube channel: www.youtube.com/c/drkaii (I am currently making a documentary series on space using space engine, I have a donate link to SE on every video).

Lastly, you should know that the sensor for the CV1 is MUCH better than the DK2 sensor. It has a much bigger margin of error, field of view and can also detect the back of the CV1.

btw did you see my recommendation post for how to implement the movement with VR?

Here it is copied from the old development progress thread:

I've been thinking more about how to have the direction you move not tied to the direction you look (with regards to Oculus Rift and Vive) and I think the best way would be to have it just move in the default HMD centered direction. Add a keybind to reset this but generally that will work perfectly. You can intuitively know where you are going, you can change direction with your controller/keyboard etc. and yet you can also look around while flying without changing the direction.

Edited by yaqdark - Saturday, 20.08.2016, 22:36

SpaceEngineerDate: Saturday, 20.08.2016, 23:53 | Message # 38
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Changed star-like particle rendering for planets. Now at transition from particle to model, the particle is rendered on top of the planet's crescent rather than in disk center. So it is less noticeable now. Screenshots to compare (view in full size):

Also fixed too bright planets/moons on previews in the Solar system browser, and added ability to switch off ship warp effect. Why people asking about it? Maybe you also want to switch off black holes warp, lol?

Attachments: 1444382.jpg (104.3 Kb) · 4472261.jpg (107.2 Kb)

steeljaw354Date: Sunday, 21.08.2016, 00:25 | Message # 39
World Builder
Pirate
Much better improvement.

ProteusDate: Sunday, 21.08.2016, 00:46 | Message # 40
Explorer
United States
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
added ability to switch off ship warp effect. Why people asking about it? Maybe you also want to switch off black holes warp, lol?

hey now, I gave my explanation about that, even amidst the fact that I do undoubtedly think the warp bubble is super cool. some times I like seeing it but sometimes I like to stick close to the ship and admire the stars flying by naturally (could be as if the external camera has a composite correction view mode enabled so people can see accurately what might be going on outside the ship, right? wink )

yaqdarkDate: Sunday, 21.08.2016, 01:11 | Message # 41
Astronaut
Pirate
Also hitting the zero velocity Stop key in Free Mode doesn't actually set the speed to zero. Can you fix that while you are tinkering?

p.s. see my message above

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 21.08.2016, 02:06 | Message # 42
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote yaqdark ()
PLEASE make a second window so we can record in VR.

???
VR output is already mirrored to SE window. Or I don't understand?

Quote yaqdark ()
I've been thinking more about how to have the direction you move not tied to the direction you look (with regards to Oculus Rift and Vive) and I think the best way would be to have it just move in the default HMD centered direction. Add a keybind to reset this but generally that will work perfectly. You can intuitively know where you are going, you can change direction with your controller/keyboard etc. and yet you can also look around while flying without changing the direction.

But what if you want to fly not straight forward, but with some angle to that direction? I just tried, and indeed having ability to control flying direction without turning entire scene with mouse (which is of course very sickly) is better. Otherwise you will end up hitting mountains or canyon walls. Or maybe it's just me? It's not a problem with Vive, where you may use controller's "laser ray" to point fly direction, but what about Oculus with it's gamepad?

Maybe if bind mode up/down and left/right to one stick, and forward/backward to another one could help to aim moving direction. But how to turn around if needed, you have only one left/right stick's directions free, plus triggers which I usually used to control roll (yes my stomach is strong). It would look like Elite Dangerous controls. Hmm, I should try this.

yaqdarkDate: Sunday, 21.08.2016, 02:43 | Message # 43
Astronaut
Pirate
I've attached my keybindings - they ARE Elite: Dangerous controls.

Basically, forward/back is right and left triggers
speed is controlled with the shoulders
pitch/roll is left stick
yaw and vertical lateral is right stick.

I've got left/right lateral on my rear paddles so I have FULL control of the camera without needing any mouse/head movement. That leaves the head to move freely if you let us smile Try it and see!

Quote SpaceEngineer ()
???
VR output is already mirrored to SE window. Or I don't understand?

Have it mirror in a way that it is normal screen like most VR games do - not the two VR eyes but just a normal 16:9 image of the scene that can have screen capture.

Attachments: keys.cfg (30.4 Kb)

Edited by yaqdark - Sunday, 21.08.2016, 03:26

Destructor1701Date: Sunday, 21.08.2016, 11:31 | Message # 44
Pioneer
Ireland
Vagdark, sounds like we have nearly the same bindings. I have Up/Down movements bound to clicking the sticks. I wish there was one more analogue axis on the controller for that!

The shoulder buttons for speed control combined with the analogue movement control provided by the sticks are transformative, even without a VR headset. I looooove being able to smoothly fly from the surface of one object to the surface of another in another galaxy in one smooth motion. Sublime experience.

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 21.08.2016, 12:16 | Message # 45
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote yaqdark ()
Basically, forward/back is right and left triggers
speed is controlled with the shoulders
pitch/roll is left stick
yaw and vertical lateral is right stick.

Yes I also using triggers for forward/backward, but for controlling ship engines (main/reverse in Skylon - very easy to fly on a planet).
I using shoulders as left and right mouse buttons to select an object and orbit it. Do you have bindings for that actions in your setup? They are bound on the the first tab in controls settings dialog, so are not very noticeable.
Reserve two keys for changing the stereobase :)

Quote yaqdark ()
Have it mirror in a way that it is normal screen like most VR games do - not the two VR eyes but just a normal 16:9 image of the scene that can have screen capture.

I may output image from one eye, undistorted and cropped to fit screen aspect ratio. Like that doing in Vive games. Rendering a THIRD image just for mirroring is overhead, it will reduce performance by 30%. This is not what you want in VR.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Development Status » Work progress - 0.9.8.1
Search: