ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » SpaceEngine » Development Status » Technical & Programing Questions! (I got to know!)
Technical & Programing Questions!
ViperGDate: Friday, 17.07.2015, 03:30 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
So I checked out Space Engine and was pretty much blown away, like most people!

I've been learning how to create procedural planets and had some questions!

I've been having problems with shadows, how are you able to get your shadows pretty much flawless.
I feel like I get zbuffer/resolution problems with shadows on huge objects that are far away. I even tested defered decals but I feel like im having the same problem, can't figure it out.

The other question I had was do you use a quadrilateralized cube sphere for your planets?

I'm assuming you're using height maps for everything? I'm trying to figure out how your textures match up with your terrain, they seem flawless.

And my last question, are you using scaling tricks with the planets? Or is everything "as-is" all the time in terms of size/scale.
I ask this because I was wondering if I can do planet scaling as you approach the planet so I can reduce zbuffer issues. (AKA the planet is actually always closer than you think, I just scale it as you get closer to the radius of the planet.)

Would appreciate some tips and help! I'm super curious how you did everything!

form_d_kDate: Monday, 26.09.2016, 17:44 | Message # 2
Astronaut
Group: Users
United States
Have you checked out Reddit? There are several subreddits that might be able to answer your questions.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Development Status » Technical & Programing Questions! (I got to know!)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: