Forum » SpaceEngine » Development Status » [Idea] New Nebula Rending
[Idea] New Nebula Rending
NiakoDate: Thursday, 26.02.2015, 21:03 | Message # 1
Space Tourist
Group: Users
Spain
I made a simple image to explain the idea:

Explanation:
Nebulas would be rendered by "slices", whith each having a texture. (Part 1, Textures very small and low-resolution)
The textures'd be placed in the grid by placing each pixel in a separated line-crossings (As seen all over the 9 grids in 2nd part)
(Change the pixels with "clouds" textures, like the ones in SE right now)
All grids'd be stacked to create de 3D "model" (Part 3) But because in SE we wouldn't see the grid, it'd look like the Part 4

I don't know if i explained myself very well (As you can see my native language isnt english), but i hope Space Engineer (And the rest) find this usefull.

astronikiDate: Monday, 09.03.2015, 21:24 | Message # 2
Space Pilot
Group: SE team
Poland
I support this idea. The current system is quite limited, and this might allow for some complex shapes.

Check out my astrophotography:
http://www.astroniki.fbl.pl
http://www.facebook.com/AstroNiki1

RetsofDate: Saturday, 14.03.2015, 00:25 | Message # 3
Astronaut
United States
Interesting idea, but how do you deal with looking at it from different angles, or close up?

NiakoDate: Saturday, 14.03.2015, 10:40 | Message # 4
Space Tourist
Spain
Quote Retsof ()
Interesting idea, but how do you deal with looking at it from different angles, or close up?

From different angles is easy, it's a 3D "model"
From close up, if some nebulaes needs some extra detail, it could have some LOD stuff added.

SpaceEngineerDate: Saturday, 14.03.2015, 11:38 | Message # 5
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
This is very old idea of 3D rendering. It uses 3D texture, not a stack of 2D textures, and make slices in the plane, parallel to the screen. More advanced variation is raytracing inside the 3D texture - on modern GPUs it could be even faster than slices. It's main disadvantage compared to sprites is limited resolution (3D texture takes HUGE amount of memory). Sprites solves this because each individual sprite, representing one voxel, have its own texture (which could be 3D texture itself) - this increasing variety.

NiakoDate: Saturday, 14.03.2015, 13:16 | Message # 6
Space Tourist
Spain
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
This is very old idea of 3D rendering. It uses 3D texture, not a stack of 2D textures, and make slices in the plane, parallel to the screen. More advanced variation is raytracing inside the 3D texture - on modern GPUs it could be even faster than slices. It's main disadvantage compared to sprites is limited resolution (3D texture takes HUGE amount of memory). Sprites solves this because each individual sprite, representing one voxel, have its own texture (which could be 3D texture itself) - this increasing variety.

Nice to know!

Forum » SpaceEngine » Development Status » [Idea] New Nebula Rending
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: