ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » SpaceEngine » Development Status » Blockchain Technology to Increase Computational Power?
Blockchain Technology to Increase Computational Power?
smithyDate: Saturday, 15.11.2014, 02:59 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Newbies
United Kingdom
As the title suggests could this be implemented into Space Engine with networking?

Blockchain is a new technology thats been out for a couple of years and there is a lot of infrastructure being built behind it. Last time I checked the network power was 250 petahash and rising if that means anything.

Currently more powerful than the world's top supercomputers combined.

I would like to see interstellar orbits and real time physics, clashing of planets and stars etc over the very very very long term development.

This is the best space simulation I have ever experienced in my life hopefully this will continue to evolve in many years to come.

KinanDate: Sunday, 26.07.2015, 17:25 | Message # 2
Observer
Spain
I don't know how that technology could be used for SpaceEngine. I assume that you are talking about the blockchains used for cryptocurrencies, which are databases.

Parallel computing could be used for running specific scenarios, maybe. Although I don't think that SpaceEngine is going to reach the level of complexity required for that to be worthy.

rotten_apples2eatDate: Wednesday, 13.01.2016, 05:58 | Message # 3
Observer
Pirate
I came across this question and have been involved with bitcoin/crytocurrency for half a decade and used to contribute to the mining power alluded to above.
The blockchain is only a database, copied among many thousands of computers. The computing power behind mining the blockchain is tremendous, but miners use ASIC chips which are built to do one thing only: calculate hashes. In other words they are very fast at what they do, but they cannot be used to do anything else useful (except heat a room in winter). Being built for one function allows them to be far faster than a general computing device such as a GPU.

JadestarDate: Thursday, 22.09.2016, 09:04 | Message # 4
Astronaut
Group: Users
United States
Quote rotten_apples2eat ()
but they cannot be used to do anything else useful (except heat a room in winter). Being built for one function allows them to be far faster than a general computing device such as a GPU.

The Ethereum blockchain is actually a computing platform used to run Decentralized Applications (dApps). It too was invented by a Russian(-Canadian) named Vitalik Buterin. He calls it "The World Computer".

The code is open source and Microsoft, IBM and the Linux Foundation back it.

It does not make use of ASICs but rather, GPU farms which use some of the same cards we use to run Space Engine.

That said, with transaction times of 25 per second I don't see how it could really help Space Engine... Perhaps the entire GAIA catalog could be uploaded to the Ethereum blockchain and Space Engine only reference the relevant part of the dataset depending on where in the Milky Way galaxy someone is?

I'd be interested in hearing the original poster's ideas.

Anything like realtime rendering using ithe Ethereum network would probable be impossible until they eventually scale up to 2500 transactions a second or more if possible at all (which I doubt).

Forum » SpaceEngine » Development Status » Blockchain Technology to Increase Computational Power?
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: