[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » SpaceEngine » Mods and Addons » SpaceEngine Auto-Installer
SpaceEngine Auto-Installer
DoctorDukeDate: Tuesday, 17.07.2012, 13:40 | Message # 1
Space Tourist
Group: Users
Netherlands
Hello there, I've been playing with WinRAR lately, and found a function to make .exe installers of archives. So I've grabbed the files of a SpaceEngine 0.96 installation and converted it. I wanted to ask if this could be distrubuted by maybe SpaceEngineer so that newcomers to SE can install it easily.

DoctorDuke

KvikiDate: Tuesday, 17.07.2012, 17:56 | Message # 2
Explorer
Group: SE team
Croatia
I'm not sure if an installer is needed yet.. Don't see the difference between simply extracting it to desktop or clicking the ''next, next, next, finish.'' just to do the same thing. In my opinion an installer is a pretty solid idea but at a later date when the game is more finished. I'm pretty sure most *newcomers* know their way with a PC, therefore know how to download a zip file, extract it and run the .exe . biggrin

dontpanicDate: Tuesday, 17.07.2012, 18:56 | Message # 3
Space Pilot
United States
I think a zip file should still exist along side the installer, even after the game is released. That way, if you try to mod the game and you mess something up and didn't make a backup, you can just go to the zip file and extract the files you need instead of re-installing or installing again to a different directory.

Edited by dontpanic - Tuesday, 17.07.2012, 22:02

apenpaapDate: Tuesday, 17.07.2012, 20:41 | Message # 4
World Builder
Antarctica
I could see the installer being quite useful for people with low computer literacy. After all, there have been a bunch of "bug reports" caused by people running SE directly from the archive.

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

Arron17Date: Tuesday, 17.07.2012, 23:30 | Message # 5
Observer
United Kingdom
A zip installer wouldn't work for "Computer Illiterate" users. What happens when they get a update and get told they have to delete all the previous files. If your going to make an installer it needs to be with a proper installation program that will remove the old files too.

Intel Core i3-330m, 4GB RAM, ATi Radeon 5650 1GB

dontpanicDate: Wednesday, 18.07.2012, 00:50 | Message # 6
Space Pilot
United States
As I said, Space Engine should be available in both a .zip archive and an .exe installer.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Mods and Addons » SpaceEngine Auto-Installer
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: