ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Mods and Addons » MOD - Creating custom textures for planets 0.97 (How to import NASA's textures for the planets)
MOD - Creating custom textures for planets 0.97
PlutonianEmpireDate: Saturday, 29.11.2014, 04:02 | Message # 61
Pioneer
Group: Users
United States
Quote HarbingerDawn ()
What I meant was that specifying a negative greenhouse effect has no effect on the stats of the planet in engine.

The stats as displayed in the HUD and the internal Info boxes for selected bodies? I know the negative values don't affect the terrain generation for procedural surfaces, but I do see a difference in the numbers displayed (See attached screens below)

Quote HarbingerDawn ()
I'm guessing that it's not liking your cylindrical map. You might need to convert it to cubemap if you want altitudes to register correctly.

I figured out a workaround, which was to set the bumpheight to 0.1 or 0.01, which would put me at the actual surface.

Quote HarbingerDawn ()
I don't understand what you mean.

Attachments: 6410383.png (329.5 Kb) · 2948962.png (132.3 Kb) · 0808664.png (549.9 Kb) · 0584066.png (306.1 Kb)

Specs: Dell Inspiron 5547 (Laptop); 8 gigabytes of RAM; Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz; Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 4400 (That's all there is :( )

Edited by PlutonianEmpire - Saturday, 29.11.2014, 04:04

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 29.11.2014, 07:19 | Message # 62
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote PlutonianEmpire ()
set the bumpheight to 0.1 or 0.01

But then does the bump map still have any effect?

As for the pictures, it looks like you're clipping though the surface or something. Without being there I can't give you any answers about why it's happening or what to do about it.

I would still suggest converting to cube map, it would likely solve all your problems, and increase the quality of the planet in the process.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

SnowfallDate: Saturday, 14.02.2015, 02:56 | Message # 63
Space Tourist
Canada
Does the download still work? It sends me to the Russian site as normal but gives me a 404 error. or am i using it wrong?

Edit: fixed my error below. was due to the location of the file. I really don't know why it did not work. But it works if i open and export directly to my C:\ drive.

I have cube map installed and Ive used it before. but for some reason it desired not to work on me. i am even using the same default.ccf file as when i did before. but it gives me "Read normalization data from image: can't open input file! some error occurred!" so i was going to re download it to see if i can fix it.

Normally i export my textures to .raw using GIMP. but i did re install GIMP since the last time i used Cubemap and i notice it wants to save my file as .data instead of .raw now, (maybe GIMP update?) though the same interface comes up when i export the file. i just change the file extension from .data to .raw
maybe it is the GIMP export that is giving me issues and not Cubemap?

I also tryed to use an old PaintShopPro4 to export to raw but still no go.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

sorry for my dyslexia.

never stop imagining beautiful things.

Edited by Snowfall - Saturday, 14.02.2015, 21:38

RockoRocksDate: Saturday, 14.02.2015, 02:56 | Message # 64
World Builder
Belgium
I seem to have another planet-texture related issue. I want to create a CubeMap from a cylindrical texture, but it has a (masked) alpha layer in it (so that when I apply it to the planet, only the oceans will reflect light (like on Earth)). However, when I convert it to .raw (I use IrfanView for this), and put it in CubeMap.exe, the result is okay, but the alpha layer seems to be gone and replaced by white, and look like this (example tile):

My default.ccf settings file is in the attachment. I've already tried GIMP for converting to .raw, but I have no idea how to make the plugins work, and I don't have Photoshop. Is it because of IrfanView, or my settings file?

Here is an image of the final result I'm trying to achieve. The reason I got it to work like this here, is because I used a single texture for this, but when I try to make it a CubeMap it loses the alpha layer and it gets replaced by white.

EDIT: Sorry, it seems I accidently posted this in the wrong thread, I wanted to post it in the "MOD - Creating custom textures for planets 0.97" thread, could a mod move this for me?

Attachments: 7134493.png (106.4 Kb) · 6232941.jpg (110.9 Kb) · default.ccf (3.5 Kb)

I will be inactive on this forum for the time being. Might come back eventually

AMD AR-3305M APU w/ Radeon HD 1.90 GHz 6,00 GB RAM

Edited by RockoRocks - Saturday, 28.03.2015, 17:52

SpaceEngineerDate: Saturday, 28.03.2015, 21:08 | Message # 65
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
RockoRocks, IrfanView skips alpha channel on loading, so it can't save it. You must use another software to do this.

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 28.03.2015, 23:37 | Message # 66
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote RockoRocks ()
I've already tried GIMP for converting to .raw

Select raw image data in the file type list when exporting, then add the .raw to the file name when saving. Not sure if it will save RGBA raw properly though.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

RockoRocksDate: Sunday, 29.03.2015, 10:41 | Message # 67
World Builder
Belgium
I tried exporting it from GIMP, but that apparantly makes it worse, because now it doesn't even export it properly without the alpha channel, for example the "base" map looks like this now:

Note that I set the "InputChannels" tag to 3, and not 4, because 4 makes all saved tiles black textures.

Not sure if it's the image or the settings file, but I'm using the same settings file as attached in my previous post on this thread.
Does anyone know a program that works and that isn't GIMP or IrfanView? Am I gonna have to use Photoshop or are there any other programs for this? Tbh, the raw format is annoying and difficult to work with... if nothing works, I'm either going to have to drop the alpha channel or use a single texture anyways.

Edited by RockoRocks - Sunday, 29.03.2015, 10:50

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 29.03.2015, 14:55 | Message # 68
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote RockoRocks ()
because 4 makes all saved tiles black textures.

They are not black, they have black alpha. Preview generator in Windows have weird behaviour - it multiplies RGB on alpha, so all tile looks black. Photoshop also doing that annoying thing when you open the png image.

Quote RockoRocks ()
the raw format is annoying and difficult to work with...

Cubemap need uncompressed format to work with. I may add tga support, but it will not work with 16-bit textures.

FastFourierTransformDate: Sunday, 29.03.2015, 15:18 | Message # 69
Pioneer
Group: Local Moderators
Spain
I think we would need an easy tool for this in the future. Bacause many demand it

RockoRocksDate: Sunday, 29.03.2015, 20:38 | Message # 70
World Builder
Belgium
Thanks for the help SpaceEngineer and HarbingerDawn, it works perfectly now!

Attachments: 9703170.jpg (159.5 Kb)

Edited by RockoRocks - Sunday, 29.03.2015, 20:41

CyberItalianDate: Saturday, 11.04.2015, 18:33 | Message # 71
Astronaut
Italy
I was trying to make a custom texture, and since i can't get the CubeMap tool i can't get the texture to work.

Is there any place where i can get that tool? The download link is just a 404 page in russian.

sad

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 12.04.2015, 13:21 | Message # 72
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
CyberItalian, link updated. Also, it a new version of the Cubemap utility with many bug fixes and improvements.
http://en.spaceengine.org/load/core/cubemap_1_05/2-1-0-30

JohnVVDate: Monday, 13.04.2015, 19:50 | Message # 73
Space Tourist
United States
imagemagick uses the alpha channel

just use "convert" to a Image.rgb
then rename the raw rgb image to .raw

Imagemagick comes in 3 forms ( or if you do a custom build 1 form)
Q8
Q16
and the custom Q32

q8 ONLY supports 8 bit/layer images
Q16
supports 8bit and 16 bit ( signed and unsigned and MSB and LSB )

Q32 supports 32bit floating point ( what i use )
and 16 bit and 8 bit

BUT IM is DEAD SLOW !!!! on big images

or use Gmic

Gmic supports alpha layer ( BUT there is a 4 gig image max size issue)
-- png image WITH a 4th layer alpha channel
Code

gmic inputImage.png -o Outputimage.raw   

Edited by JohnVV - Monday, 13.04.2015, 19:51

VoekoevakaDate: Monday, 13.04.2015, 23:01 | Message # 74
World Builder
Group: SE team
France
Quote CyberItalian ()
improvements

Which ones ?

Want some music of mine ? Please go here !

gamekid1999Date: Thursday, 14.05.2015, 05:26 | Message # 75
Observer
Group: Newbies
Pirate
Quote FastFourierTransform ()
I think we would need an easy tool for this in the future. Bacause many demand it

I totally agree. It would be an amazing expansion to this simulator.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Mods and Addons » MOD - Creating custom textures for planets 0.97 (How to import NASA's textures for the planets)
Search: