ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » SpaceEngine » Mods and Addons » Proxima b by Cirax (3 versions) [FIXED TEMPERATURE] (Proxima b procedural mars, venus and earth like versions)
Proxima b by Cirax (3 versions) [FIXED TEMPERATURE]
ciraxDate: Thursday, 15.09.2016, 15:29 | Message # 1
Astronaut
Group: Users
Spain
Proxima b by Cirax

[UPDATE]

-Fixed temperature for Proxima b. Below the paper temperature because the paper calculates it as black body and SE takes in consideration an albedo value.
-Eccentricity set to 0.
-Decreased brightness for vanilla versions of Proxima b.

Hi, this are my three procedural versions of the recently discovered Proxima b planet around the closest star to the sun.

I made three different versions of the planet: a mars, venus and earth like planets. As long we only know roughly its mass and orbit parameters and nothing about its atmosphere composition or surface, I made the most probably ones.

I found the Proxima b Mars like version the most probably scenario according the data we know about Proxima. The star is a flare star, meaning that from time to time the star emits gigantic sun flares that scorch the surface of the planet destroying its atmosphere, also there is a lot of highly ionized radiation coming from the coronal material expelled and even X Rays. That makes almost impossible to sustain any live in the surface and even a dense atmosphere.

The possibility of the planet to produce a powerful magnetic field to protect itself from the flares is low. The planet has a rotation period of some more of 11 days, with the internal dynamo model to produce this field its rotation seems to be too slow, so it will be its magnetic field (I could be totally wrong I'm not astronomer lol)

Notice I changed Proxima data itself because Space engine seems to use the apparent magnitude in the visual band as the main value to calculate the temperatures. This works well with the most of the visible main sequence stars, but it has problems with most extreme ones (M stars like Proxima and with O, B class stars). In the case of the red dwarfs (M class) most of the energy its emitted in the infrared, so it doesn't occur in the visual band (the apparent magnitude in SE refers to the visual band), so to get a more realist value for temperature I commented the AppMagn value and added the luminosity value (I also added some more data) and now works great.

For the "real brightness" version I used the absolute magnitude of the Proxima Star with a brightness of 1 for Proxima b, then I compared and adjusted the brightness of the Proxima b planet with the Luminosity enable and disabled the AbsMagn value. The result is a 0.3 of brightness for Proxima b with the 0.00155 Luminosity parameter for Proxima Star. Really dark.

MARS LIKE PROXIMA b

This version supposes a Proxima b without an enough magnetic field to protect itself, but with some volcanic activity to replace it. In this mars like version big asteroids had made big craters crossing without problems its thin atmosphere.

Global screenshot:

Surface screenshot:

FEATURES: Big craters, some volcanoes, dry rivers, weak clouds, thin atmosphere, hills and dunes,no auroras.

You can download the mars like version at the end of this post as an attached file.

TERRA LIKE PROXIMA b

In this version Proxima b has a powerful magnetic field that protects it from the sun flares making possible the existence of a consistent atmosphere. With a dense atmosphere the planet can also sustain an ocean that extends around the terminator zone (day-night separation zone).

Global screenshot:

Global screenshot without clouds:

Surface screenshot:

FEATURES: No craters, some volcanoes, water rivers, ocean, big clouds, dense atmosphere, auroras.

You can download the terra like version at the end of this post as an attached file.

VENUS LIKE PROXIMA b

Proxima b is a hell planet in this like venus version. An intense volcanic activity produces a lot of greenhouse gases that keep the heat several hundred degrees beyond the boiling water temperature. Due this the planet has no icecap in the night hemisphere.

Global screenshot:

Global screenshot without clouds:

Surface screenshot:

FEATURES: No craters, a lot of active volcanoes, lot of mountains, no rivers, no icecap, cloud covered, dense atmosphere, auroras.

You can download the venus like version at the end of this post as an attached file.

----------

That's all. If you want to try all three download them and once you are in the addons folder deactivate those you are not using changing the extension ".pak" to anything else like ".off". The result should be, if you are activating the terra version: Proxima b t.pak along with Proxima b v.off and Proxima b m.off in the addons folder.

Have fun, and sorry for my grammar or strange expressions I'm not native english speaker smile

-----------

DOWNLOAD LINKS

[UPDATE 3] 7-Nov-2016

RB versions are a more realistic version of the light expected from the surface, quite dark out there tongue

Mars like versions: Proxima b m.pak and Proxima b m-RB.pak
Terra like versions: Proxima t m.pak and Proxima b t-RB.pak
Venus like versions: Proxima v m.pak and Proxima b v-RB.pak

To install it just copy the pak file to the addons folder of space engine.

Click on the corresponding link name below:

Attachments: Proxima_b_m.pak (3.1 Kb) · Proxima_b_t.pak (3.3 Kb) · Proxima_b_v.pak (3.2 Kb) · Proxima_b_m-RB.pak (3.1 Kb) · Proxima_b_t-RB.pak (3.3 Kb) · Proxima_b_v-RB.pak (3.2 Kb)

My work for SE: Click here
Textures for Venus surface in color and the moons of Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.
Catalogs of binary stars, brown dwarfs, black holes and neutron stars.
Proxima b (3 versions).

Edited by cirax - Monday, 07.11.2016, 16:10

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Thursday, 15.09.2016, 16:28 | Message # 2
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Your images don't load, you may want to fix them

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

ciraxDate: Thursday, 15.09.2016, 17:24 | Message # 3
Astronaut
Spain
Fixed, thanks!

Textures for Venus surface in color and the moons of Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.
Proxima b (3 versions).

steeljaw354Date: Thursday, 15.09.2016, 19:53 | Message # 4
World Builder
Pirate
The most realistic is the Mars like one, the flares would strip most of the atmosphere, a dead lifeless world is what I expect.

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Thursday, 15.09.2016, 20:26 | Message # 5
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote steeljaw354 ()
The most realistic is the Mars like one, the flares would strip most of the atmosphere, a dead lifeless world is what I expect.

That is possible but considering the mass and size of the planet it may be unlikely. Mars is quite small and quite far away from the sun, while some models suggest the stellar wind stripped away some of it's atmosphere more recent studies suggest a large collision as a cause.

In our solar system we have evidence that larger planets can hold an atmosphere without a magnetic field and in closer proximity to the sun, just look at Venus. Venus has a very slow rotational period and no active dynamo, yet has an atmosphere much denser than our own.

What this suggests to me is considering it's mass, size, and distance from it's parent star the world is probably tidally locked, has no active dynamo, but could retain an atmosphere. I would think it would be closer to Venus, but without more information its little more than speculation.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

steeljaw354Date: Thursday, 15.09.2016, 20:32 | Message # 6
World Builder
Pirate
I'd say it's either a Venus or a Mars analog, an Earth like planet 4 light years away would be an extremely lucky find, and if it has life, even more so.

ŞtefanDate: Wednesday, 28.09.2016, 11:15 | Message # 7
Astronaut
Romania
I have a question: why is Proxima b so hot? It should receive only 65% of Earth's stellar flux from Proxima Centauri.

Attachments: 6197735.jpg (139.9 Kb)

Edited by Ştefan - Wednesday, 28.09.2016, 11:16

ciraxDate: Wednesday, 28.09.2016, 14:12 | Message # 8
Astronaut
Spain
The most energy emmited by the sun is inside the visual band, but in red dwarfs like Proxima this energy is in the infrarred.

It's invisible to our eyes but that still warms the planet (like the ashes of an extict fire). In this case I'm using the luminosity parameter for Proxima instead the apparent magnitude (as it should be to all red dwars with planets in SE, but that's a lot of work...).

Proxima b (3 versions).

Edited by cirax - Friday, 30.09.2016, 14:46

ŞtefanDate: Wednesday, 28.09.2016, 15:22 | Message # 9
Astronaut
Romania
Quote cirax ()
The most energy emitted by the sun is inside the visual band but in red dwarfs like Proxima this energy is in the infrared.

It's invisible to our eyes but that still warms the planet (like the ashes of an extinct fire). In this case, I'm using the luminosity parameter for Proxima instead the apparent magnitude (as it should be to all red dwarfs with planets in SE, but that's a lot of work...).

Ok, I understand you perfectly. The luminosities of many stars have to be corrected in SE.

But I am still confused.

That 65-70% stellar flux I talked about is calculated with the bolometric (whole) luminosity (0.00155 Solar Lum), not the visual luminosity, which Wiki says is 0.00005 Solar Lum, 31 times smaller.

I just don't get it. If we look at the papers about Proxima Centauri b on exoplanet.eu, we'll see that with that bolometric luminosity and the estimated distance to the planet, the temperature of Proxima b (assuming an albedo of 0.3 and no greenhouse effects) is about -35 Celsius. Not over 70 Celsius, like your version (with a small greenhouse of about 2 degrees), nor about 40 Celsius I got with my own work-in-progress version.

I suspect that, actually, we're having a lot of tidal heating here, which isn't realistic if we're talking about a circular orbit, of eccentricity = 0. Or, maybe, there is an error in our codes here and there are two Proxima Centauri stars generated, one atop of another, and they both heat the planet, raising its temperature way too much.

I'm confused. I'd like to hear what others think about this.

Edited by Ştefan - Wednesday, 28.09.2016, 15:24

ciraxDate: Wednesday, 28.09.2016, 16:22 | Message # 10
Astronaut
Spain
It could be the tidal effect (I'll check it at home ) because I assigned an eccentricy of 0.15 (half of the maximum expected in the paper). I didn't know those temperature values so if with e=0 it's more realistic I will change it . Anyway I don't know how SE calculates the temperature, maybe somebody will enlight us (I think is something about the Stefan-Boltzmann ecuation but i'm not sure).

Proxima b (3 versions).

Edited by cirax - Wednesday, 28.09.2016, 16:31

ŞtefanDate: Wednesday, 28.09.2016, 20:10 | Message # 11
Astronaut
Romania
cirax, changing the eccentricity didn't do the trick, so you don't need to bother.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Mods and Addons » Proxima b by Cirax (3 versions) [FIXED TEMPERATURE] (Proxima b procedural mars, venus and earth like versions)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: