ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Mods and Addons » SDSS Galaxy collection 2.0 (Updated Sep. 5 2016) (101 million galaxies)
SDSS Galaxy collection 2.0 (Updated Sep. 5 2016)
ComCypherDate: Wednesday, 24.12.2014, 16:36 | Message # 16
Space Tourist
Group: SE team
United States
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
I can point on a obvious issue, that can make impossible to use SDSS stars catalog in SE. Are they have a distance measured? I guess no.

That's a good point. I previously thought that I could use the redshift values like for galaxies, but it seems that method doesn't work for objects inside the Milky Way. Therefore parallax measurements are required, but the only catalog that I can find that has those measurements is HIPPARCOS and SE already includes those stars.

Quasars should be possible. I wasn't interested in processing those at the moment because SE doesn't currently contain that type of object.

FastFourierTransformDate: Wednesday, 24.12.2014, 18:17 | Message # 17
Pioneer
Group: Local Moderators
Spain
First of all I want to ask if the 0.9.7.2 version of Space Engine is going to have the entire SDSS catalogue added or at least what has been done here. Second thing, I want to ask if the lack of data is going to be solved with procedurally generated galaxies without distroying the large scale structure of the universe shown in the SDSS surveys.

And now some considerations that may help

Quote ComCypher ()
Therefore parallax measurements are required, but the only catalog that I can find that has those measurements is HIPPARCOS and SE already includes those stars.

I don't think SE has all the Thycho-2 stellar catalogue taken by the Hipparcos mission inside the software. It would mean there are 2.5 million real stars in the program right now (it would be great to have the entire catalogue inside the engine by the way).
The awesome part are going to be the Gaia Mission results. The catalogue of Gaia is going to be completed on 2022 but a first release of the catalogue would be avaiable at summer 2016.. This would be amazing because it would have incredibly precise measurements of distances and motion of 1 billion stars in the Milky Way!!! Space Engineer listed here the great results we are going to be able to archive with Gaia. I want that added to Space Engine when the moment arrives. Until then we have to refine and complete the Thycho-2 catalogue.

Quote ComCypher ()
Quasars should be possible. I wasn't interested in processing those at the moment because SE doesn't currently contain that type of object.

In fact Quasars exist on the current version of SE. They are extremely rare and are a primitive stage of the feature (I'm supposing).
Here you have a conversatiuon in the forum about Space Engine's Quasars

And here you have some pictures of one of those quasars taken by myself:

So yeah, it would be awesome to generate a quasar catalogue on Space Engine!!!

We have a satalogue of 1 million Quasars that has been done two weeks ago!!!! It contains 925,142 Quasars from varius sources (including SDSS), 23,534 Active Galactic Nuclei, 1,580 BL Lacs (a class of Blazars, hence a type of Quasars with the plus of knowing their jets are oriented towards earth) and at least 68,062 radio and Xray sources associated with the presence of Quasars (so, more quasars). Since Quasars are part of galaxies there you have 1,018,318 more galaxies to add to your amazing addon.

The 1 million quasar catalogue can be found here. Here's the lastest version (from just a few days ago)

Good Luck and happy Newton's birthday wink

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 24.12.2014, 21:29 | Message # 18
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote FastFourierTransform ()
I want to ask if the 0.9.7.2 version of Space Engine is going to have the entire SDSS catalogue added or at least what has been done here

If you read any of this thread you would know that the answer is no.

In fact Quasars exist on the current version of SE. They are extremely rare and are a primitive stage of the feature

Quasars currently render just like any other galaxy, there is no difference. In your pictures there is just some weird occurrence where a planetary nebula is generated at the center of the galaxy.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

ComCypherDate: Wednesday, 24.12.2014, 21:31 | Message # 19
Space Tourist
United States
I don't think SE has all the Thycho-2 stellar catalogue taken by the Hipparcos mission inside the software.

My understanding is that the HIPPARCOS catalog is a more detailed subset of the Tycho-2 catalog. The other 2 million stars in the Tycho-2 catalog do not include parallax information so we are left with the same issue as with the SDSS stars.

The awesome part are going to be the Gaia Mission results. The catalogue of Gaia is going to be completed on 2022 but a first release of the catalogue would be avaiable at summer 2016.. This would be amazing because it would have incredibly precise measurements of distances and motion of 1 billion stars in the Milky Way!!! Space Engineer listed here the great results we are going to be able to archive with Gaia.

Wow I never heard of that mission before. That looks like it will be an awesome set of data to work with.

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 25.12.2014, 01:16 | Message # 20
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote ComCypher ()
The other 2 million stars in the Tycho-2 catalog do not include parallax information so we are left with the same issue as with the SDSS stars.

Tycho does have parallax data, it's essentially an expanded version of Hipparcos, but the quality of parallax data for the Tycho stars is much lower than for the main Hipparcos catalog.

My SE mods and addons

isdebeslDate: Thursday, 25.12.2014, 02:50 | Message # 21
Space Pilot
Group: Users
Indonesia
Is this works? http://www.astro-dolomites.com/the-observatory/downloads/ , There are some USNO Star catalog, maybe.

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 25.12.2014, 07:43 | Message # 22
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
isdebesl, the only massive catalogs what have a distance/parallax data, are HIPPARCOS and TYCHO/TYCHO-2. The other catalogs could have bollions of stars (like 2MASS), but they have no distance data, so cannot be used in SE. Measuring distances is a Holy Grail of astronomy, and it is very hard task. Except these two catalogs, only some individually studies stars have a distance data, or a catalogs for the certain types of stars, like nearby stars catalog or catalog of cepheids.

FastFourierTransformDate: Thursday, 25.12.2014, 14:30 | Message # 23
Pioneer
Spain
Quote isdebesl ()
If you read any of this thread you would know that the answer is no.

Quote SpaceEngineer ()
When 0.972 will be released, you can make a pak files for this addon

I obviously can also deduce from what I red that yes indeed it would be part of 0.9.7.2. Vladimir has expressed few times that there's the capabilities and the intention to have this added to the engine (as an official addon I suppose). My question was if the procedural universe could live also with that possible addon or it would just create enormous bugs.

Quote HarbingerDawn ()
Quasars currently render just like any other galaxy, there is no difference. In your pictures there is just some weird occurrence where a planetary nebula is generated at the center of the galaxy.

Well they are not just planetary nebulae as the engine understands it. Space Engine labels them as Quasars as you can see here

This is know by you also so I think I may agree with the other part of the issue; Quasars are not like that. Space Engine only shows at the black hole at the center of a galaxy, a bipolar planetary nebulae, and names the entire galaxy Quasar. Real quasars and AGN would have jets been shooted from the core, the whole galactic aspect would change and strange phenomena would occur on the global scale of the galaxy, and not only in the surroundings of the black hole. But quasars exist on SE and they could probably be catalogued.

Quote ComCypher ()
My understanding is that the HIPPARCOS catalog is a more detailed subset of the Tycho-2 catalog. The other 2 million stars in the Tycho-2 catalog do not include parallax information so we are left with the same issue as with the SDSS stars.

Interesting. I didn't knew that smile Then humanity is quite ignorant about our galactic enviroment at this moment surprised

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 25.12.2014, 14:43 | Message # 24
Cosmic Curator
United States
I obviously can also deduce from what I red that yes indeed it would be part of 0.9.7.2

That's not what he was saying at all. He was saying that the addon can be released in .pak form for 0.972 as opposed to uncompressed text files, which it is currently. He said nothing about it being included in the default release.

As he said in post #3:
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Current 0.972 implementation even can't load a single catalog, because of limitation in the std::vector class (it is used in new accelerated script loader). So this great addon should wait implementing of the binary tiled catalog. Now I am forced to implement it for the next 0.973 version
This means that he can't include it unless it were significantly reduced.

Well they are not just planetary nebulae as the engine understands it. Space Engine labels them as Quasars as you can see here

I was talking specifically about the pictures you posted, and how the fact that the galactic center looked as it did was unrelated to the quasar classification. I know that SE has quasars, and I was saying that they are identical to other galaxies, there is no difference in generation or rendering.

My SE mods and addons

FastFourierTransformDate: Thursday, 25.12.2014, 15:40 | Message # 25
Pioneer
Spain
Ok,
I agree with all of that smile

ComCypherDate: Saturday, 27.12.2014, 16:06 | Message # 26
Space Tourist
United States
I have replaced the zip file links with PAK files due to the release of SE 0.972. If you've already downloaded the catalogs before then downloading the PAK files is optional, but recommended since they take less space on disk. The galaxy data itself is unchanged from before (v1.1).

isdebeslDate: Wednesday, 22.07.2015, 14:40 | Message # 27
Space Pilot
Indonesia
After installing this on my 0974 SE, it crashes. can someone help me?

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Thursday, 23.07.2015, 01:46 | Message # 28
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote isdebesl ()
can someone help me?

Post your log and your specs, that would be very helpful in figuring out why it crashed.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

isdebeslDate: Thursday, 23.07.2015, 12:44 | Message # 29
Space Pilot
Indonesia
Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
ost your log and your specs, that would be very helpful in figuring out why it crashed.

If i install this mod again, the solar system would be disappear and i have to install the SE all over again, and for the spec, the last time i use it in space engine 0972 version, it works no problem at all, the solar system is not disappeared. what happen? i'll post the log if this problem solved, i don't want to install my SE all over again, just because the solar system is disappeared. (sorry for my bad english)

Edited by isdebesl - Thursday, 23.07.2015, 12:45

PanMDate: Friday, 09.10.2015, 21:13 | Message # 30
Observer
Poland
ComCypher, Hi ComCypher, you have created great mod, but i have one problem. I'm downloaded a two versions of SDSS galaxies - Recomended (with 600k galaxies), and experimental (100M galaxies). First work fine, but second can't work. http://imgur.com/HD7JWFQ - I'm put files there where will be.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Mods and Addons » SDSS Galaxy collection 2.0 (Updated Sep. 5 2016) (101 million galaxies)
Search: