ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » SpaceEngine » Mods and Addons » Positioning star systems and other things
Positioning star systems and other things
EldridgeDate: Friday, 02.09.2011, 00:25 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Newbies
Canada
Woa, new thread text is in Russian.

Ok, I love your program, its beyond awesome and I am really looking forward to the next version. Sooo using this in my next sci-fi DND game, an entire universe... <3

On that note, I am trying my hand at creating my own solar system, and most things are working well, except... How do I set where the star appears in the universe? I need my system to be somewhere in Bode's Galaxy (M81), but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to get it there.

Also, whats up with using Ib, Ia, or lower? Whenever I try to make one (I'm trying for a Blue Hyper Giant) the star gets classed as unknown and ends up average yellow. EG: "Class B7Ib"

Any advice, hints and tips for a rookie star-builder?
Thanks. Once again, Love your work.

RobbieDate: Sunday, 09.10.2011, 11:32 | Message # 2
Pioneer
Group: Global Moderators
United Kingdom
Hey SpaceEngineer,

Had you not seen this OP?
Poor guy posted this message one month ago.
I wonder if he's still waiting for you to answer...

Quad Core i7 930 CPU o/c 3.8 GHz - 6GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM - ATI HD 5870 1024Mb - Intel SSD X25-M Gen 2 - Win 7 64-bit
Add Your PC Spec To Your Signature Or Post It Here

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 09.10.2011, 12:50 | Message # 3
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Wow, I really missed this message...

SpaceEngine doesn't support positioning of start in another galaxies. But If you just place the star 100 mega light years away, it still works smile To place a star in M81 galaxy, goto Sun, center on M81, toggle edit mode (press * twice) and look on RA, Dec and Distance of that galaxy. Then type these values in Star script, with some small offset (otherwise your star will be in the center of the galaxy).

Luminosity classes are called "I-a0", "I-a", "I-b", "II", "III", "IV", "V", "VI" and "VII".

It's time to write a "Create star" tutorial...

EldridgeDate: Sunday, 16.10.2011, 05:30 | Message # 4
Observer
Canada
oh wow, id almost given up on getting a response here. smile

Ill try that out now...

RobbieDate: Sunday, 16.10.2011, 07:32 | Message # 5
Pioneer
Group: Global Moderators
United Kingdom
Hi Eldridge,

Sorry for such a late reply, at least you have it now. SpaceEngineer is usually pretty good at replying to questions, unfortunately, this one of yours somehow got overlooked.

Quad Core i7 930 CPU o/c 3.8 GHz - 6GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM - ATI HD 5870 1024Mb - Intel SSD X25-M Gen 2 - Win 7 64-bit
Add Your PC Spec To Your Signature Or Post It Here

EldridgeDate: Sunday, 16.10.2011, 11:09 | Message # 6
Observer
Canada
Hah no problem, it happens. Now if only I could find out why my Selena type planets keep spawning an atmosphere....

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 16.10.2011, 15:50 | Message # 7
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
The problem is a bad website engine, it sometimes loses the new posts notifications, especially when using several computers.

EldridgeDate: Monday, 17.10.2011, 18:46 | Message # 8
Observer
Canada
Hmm thats odd. Im doing everything on one computer. I edit the MyPlanets file, make changes, save it, then start up SpaceEngine. That is the correct procedure right? Now that I think about it, one of my planets retained the Titan atmosphere even after I removed the model tag from its settings for quite a while. It only reset after I moved the star system. Thats also when the atmosphere showed up on my Selena planets.

SpaceEngineerDate: Tuesday, 18.10.2011, 00:35 | Message # 9
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Can you show me a screen?

I made a "Creating a star" tutorial, but it's still on Russian forum. You can translate it with Google though.

Link here: http://spaceengine.org/forum/19-65-1

EldridgeDate: Tuesday, 18.10.2011, 01:06 | Message # 10
Observer
Canada
Here's a screen of the planet, with the displayed stats. Bellow is the code used to generate it:

Code

Planet    "Vita B"
{
  ParentBody      "Vita"
  Class  "Selena"

Radius          7717.5736  
  Mass  1.95  
  Gravity  1.33  

Obliquity       22
  Precession      65181

Surface
  {
   BumpHeight    20
   BumpOffset    5
   Lommel          1.0    // Lommel-Seeliger lighting model
   Life  false

Randomize      (0.7, 0.457, 0.34)

}

Orbit
  {  
   Period        0.1
   PericenterDist 0.321
   Eccentricity   0.1
   Inclination    3
  }
}

Attachments: 7682087.jpg (91.0 Kb)

SpaceEngineerDate: Tuesday, 18.10.2011, 01:19 | Message # 11
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Your planet is too big and massive to be an airless body. SpaceEngine automatically generates the atmosphere for it. This is made for the exoplanets catalog: The engine automatically determines the surface type and generates atmosphere, clouds, etc. The right solution is to make the planet smaller (the main parameter here is the surface gravity, that automatically calculates from mass and radius). The cheat solution is to make atmosphere with zero height for this planet. The atmosphere will not render, but is still shown in planet data.

EldridgeDate: Tuesday, 18.10.2011, 01:28 | Message # 12
Observer
Canada
Ah I see. This thing thinks of everything doesn't it. Thanks.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Mods and Addons » Positioning star systems and other things
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: