ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » The Myth of Multiplayer (Why do you want multiplayer anyway?)
The Myth of Multiplayer
julio_illyrianDate: Thursday, 23.07.2015, 14:06 | Message # 16
Observer
Group: Newbies
Albania
One thing I wonder ... if spaceengine will have a multiplayer offline (ie as an extension of a multiplayer singleplayer) how will the players with one keyboard to move in space?

Edited by julio_illyrian - Saturday, 25.07.2015, 10:11

parameciumkidDate: Thursday, 23.07.2015, 23:26 | Message # 17
Explorer
Group: Users
United States
Well now that the thread's been necroed, it can't hurt to throw in my responses to the above posts, even if a lot of these people aren't around anymore xD

1. Time to phallic symbol: Probably already done thanks to SHW's editor (curved shield + long truss + two large fuel spheres)

2. I wouldn't worry about people being unable to start a "fresh" install of SE and colonize like there's no tomorrow. Unlike other MMOs, SE at its current scale will have more than enough room for all of us. We could each claim our own galaxy and there'd still be room for everyone on Earth. Thus we're extremely unlikely to encounter anyone we don't want to unless our choice of spawn point is very limited (i.e. you must start at Sol).

Intel HD Graphics 4000 ;P

InariusDate: Sunday, 16.08.2015, 22:45 | Message # 18
Explorer
Group: Local Moderators
France
I see more space engine as a cooperative multiplayer than something as you see most of the time. The biggest ships/colony, cities will only be sustainable and buildable by several players. Outside of this, there will only be an empty world. If you want to be alone ? Fine, you will be alone. But if you want to make something bigger a real Outpost on a quiet Terra (at first) or a tricky station in and Asteroïd belt, then you will need help. And things like Mother Ships will need a lot of people.

expandoDate: Monday, 17.08.2015, 13:25 | Message # 19
Space Pilot
Australia
I know with Orbiter there is a multiplayer addon but it is not used much. With spaceships when you travel to other planets you nearly always use time acceleration to arrive there faster but playing like that would break the multiplayer addon.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true - by the wise as false - and by the rulers as useful."
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

SanMarcoDate: Wednesday, 02.11.2016, 23:21 | Message # 20
Observer
Group: Newbies
Ghana
I attend a local planetarium where we use software like Stellarium and Uniview. Unfortunately our projector was donated and it is pretty dim and not a great experience. We also attend domecasts from other planetariums mainly in the US.

I think it would be amazing to be able to attend a lecture from an astronomer who would automatically whisk people around the universe in SE like a swarm where each individual would still have his free head movement - especially when using VR goggles. This would leave planetariums in the dust I think.

parameciumkidDate: Thursday, 03.11.2016, 05:08 | Message # 21
Explorer
United States
I've been having some thoughts on this topic.

For one, if SpaceEngine starts implementing massive data collections like the GAIA catalog, it will be more practical to stick them all on a master server, organized into an octree, and download small chunks of it during gameplay.

Also, having watched some futurist videos on YouTube thanks to a link from this very forum, I'm wondering if SpaceEngine might be a good sandbox for seeing how post-scarcity civilizations develop and interact. With access to monstrous quantities of living space, energy, and other resources, it's uncertain if and how civilizations might pursue warfare. In fact it could shed some new light on the old Fermi paradox - we could see what difficulties (or lack thereof) players encounter trying to spot each other and what sorts of mechanisms would drive players' civilizations to self-destruct.

Intel HD Graphics 4000 ;P

Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » The Myth of Multiplayer (Why do you want multiplayer anyway?)
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Search: