ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
  • Page 7 of 7
  • «
Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » Spaceflight Physics Concept (A Concept Prototype)
Spaceflight Physics Concept
pebbleDate: Thursday, 25.12.2014, 11:53 | Message # 91
Astronaut
Group: Users
United States
Quote werdnaforever ()
The inner part rotates once per day and creates artificial days/nights.
The outer part rotates once per minute and creates 1G "gravity."

If your inner ring is meant to produce 12 hours of daylight, and 12 hours of night, then the inner and outer ring need to rotate at almost exactly the same rate.

Consider: the outer, inhabited ring rotates 1440 times a day (60 minutes * 24 hours). The inner ring would need to rotate 1439 or 1441 times in that same period so that its *relative* rotational speed differs from the outer ring by only one rotation per day.

The way you have it in the diagram, the outer ring would experience 1439 day/night cycles in 24 hours.

Or am I overlooking something?

Edited by pebble - Thursday, 25.12.2014, 11:53

werdnaforeverDate: Friday, 26.12.2014, 02:33 | Message # 92
World Builder
Pirate
Quote pebble ()
If your inner ring is meant to produce 12 hours of daylight, and 12 hours of night, then the inner and outer ring need to rotate at almost exactly the same rate.

Consider: the outer, inhabited ring rotates 1440 times a day (60 minutes * 24 hours). The inner ring would need to rotate 1439 or 1441 times in that same period so that its *relative* rotational speed differs from the outer ring by only one rotation per day.

The way you have it in the diagram, the outer ring would experience 1439 day/night cycles in 24 hours.

Or am I overlooking something?

Actually, you're exactly right.

maverickxxDate: Monday, 05.01.2015, 15:25 | Message # 93
Observer
Group: Newbies
Germany
Hello

I hope there will also be reentry flames when you break through an atmosphere of an Planet.
IT also will be cool if there will be rockets available with more stages (R7, Saturn V etc) and the space shuttle. I want to start from cape canevaral or baikonour and fly in to an earth orbit and deploy some load or bring some sattelites on a journy to the outer planets.

SnowfallDate: Monday, 26.01.2015, 05:17 | Message # 94
Space Tourist
Canada
All this wormhole and faster then light talk makes my head spin tongue but Its cool for traveling grate distances.
Though i would sure love to see some good old fashion spaceflight too, things like Soyuz capsules and basic robotic spacecraft like a Communications satellite to put into orbits.
Some spacecraft in fixed orbits would be nice too i guess, kind of like in Celestia where you can watch the Voyager make its journey through the planets on that date, and follow the Mars Express on its elliptical orbit and so on.

I don't know how this will all work together in the end, things like multiplayer and single player and custom addons in the long may conflict a bit. i really love orbiter and Celestia. and Space Engine has so much potential!

sorry for my dyslexia.

never stop imagining beautiful things.

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Monday, 26.01.2015, 05:42 | Message # 95
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote Snowfall ()
things like multiplayer and single player and custom addons in the long may conflict a bit

How so? Splitting the engine into multiple branches would actually expand on capabilities. Throw in an SDK and the possibilities become nearly unlimited.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

SnowfallDate: Tuesday, 27.01.2015, 00:15 | Message # 96
Space Tourist
Canada
True true.
I guess i was thinking, in multiplayer for example, if you had lots of custom addons installed it may be complicated to get the other players to be able to work with them as well.

sorry for my dyslexia.

never stop imagining beautiful things.

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Tuesday, 27.01.2015, 02:45 | Message # 97
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote Snowfall ()
if you had lots of custom addons installed it may be complicated to get the other players to be able to work with them as well.

If I recall SpaceEngineer has said a few times such things will not be allowed in MP and the SP version won't have multiplayer capabilities.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Thursday, 28.01.2016, 13:33 | Message # 98
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
A while back we discussed different methods for antimatter production but here is a solution that wasn't posted.

For the VARIES concept, a starship would accelerate to the target solar system and decelerate using it’s onboard supply of fuel. At the target system, the starship would assume a stable orbit close to the systems star. Vast solar panels, hundreds of square kilometers in area would unfurl, and capture energy from the star. This sunlight would be converted into laser energy which would then be used to create antimatter from the vacuum of space via the Schwinger pair production mechanism. Once a sufficient amount of antimatter is created and stored, the VARIES would then be adequately fueled to begin its return trip, presumably back to Earth, where it would then decelerate, allowing future interstellar explorers with a possible way to return to Earth.

One critical and unique component to the VARIES architecture is our proposal that proton-antiproton pair creation can be generated from the vacuum, given a sufficiently powerful electric field. Spontaneous particle creation from the vacuum by an external electric field has been applied to numerous problems in contemporary particle physics, including black hole quantum evaporation and electron-positron creation in the vicinity of charged black holes.

http://www.icarusinterstellar.org/vacuum-....tecture

Perhaps a system like this could be worked into the ship designs for the game or be stored much like the shuttles and launched upon entering a system as drone fuel ships.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 28.01.2016, 15:19 | Message # 99
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
That seems enormously less practical than simply capturing antimatter from the radiation belts of a planet's magnetosphere.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Friday, 29.01.2016, 11:43 | Message # 100
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote HarbingerDawn ()
less practical than simply capturing antimatter from the radiation belts

The amount of anitmatter fuel one could produce with such a method is far greater than the capture method. The whole point of producing antimatter would simply be to have high energy density fuel for things that require it.

Regarding gameplay, antimatter production could be paired alongside ship refueling when visiting a star or gas giant. If you go by the VARIES concept one could just replace the energy input of solar with fusion. An optimized more efficient smaller scale version could fit practically inside the current SE ship design.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » Spaceflight Physics Concept (A Concept Prototype)
  • Page 7 of 7
  • «
Search: