ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » Creatures in the game (A idea from me.)
Creatures in the game
Did you vote for model creatures in the game?
1. Yes [ 62 ] [41.61%]
2. No [ 14 ] [9.40%]
3. Maybe [ 15 ] [10.07%]
4. If possible [ 58 ] [38.93%]
Answers total: 149
ConquestiDate: Saturday, 01.02.2014, 23:52 | Message # 16
Astronaut
Group: Users
Spain
I think space engine can be of 3 types:

1. Simulador Space

2. 4X Game

3. Scientific

4. Scientific Hybrid Simulator

If Space Engine is the type 3 or 4, the creation of fauna and flora should be priority.

InariusDate: Sunday, 02.02.2014, 11:03 | Message # 17
Explorer
Group: Local Moderators
France
I think there are many things prioritary before that...for example, traces of civilisation (if there is).

I think modeling cities (with different level of civilisation) is easier than creatures to make, and moreover, it makes more beautiful screenshots.

And MOVING creatures ? It's a game in itself (look at game of species, which was just 0.6.1 yesterday).

Flora could be cool too. Something with the aspect of a forest, with beautiful textures. But, again, detailled trees will be a hell to do for our spaceengineer.

DeathStarDate: Sunday, 02.02.2014, 12:28 | Message # 18
Pioneer
Croatia
I think that procedural trees and cities are planned, but I am not sure.

On the topic of actual moving creatures, I will just flat-out say that it probably is never going to happen, since once all of the universe generation stuff is finished(which wont be for some time), the actual game will be a priority, not creatures.

ConquestiDate: Sunday, 02.02.2014, 12:32 | Message # 19
Astronaut
Spain
The games Noctis and Ad Astra had fauna, flora and traces of civilizations.

In Evochron Mercenary has trees.

This gives life to those games. (No need to create a sophisticated game of species)

But with empty planets Space Engine is a simple simulator and planetary procedural.

Edited by Conquesti - Sunday, 02.02.2014, 12:33

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 02.02.2014, 12:41 | Message # 20
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Quote Conquesti ()
The games Noctis and Ad Astra had fauna, flora and traces of civilizations.
In Evochron Mercenary has trees.

Don't forget the Spore game.
But if you take a closer look on all these games, you may see that they have unrealistically small scale. Planets are like balls, 100 meters in diameter. So they need only few dozen of animals. It is not hard to model bahaviour of such amount of creatures. But if you try to scale them to real sized planet, like in SE, you will fail. Current computers can't model trilions of creatures on thousands of planets, where players can be simultaneaously in the online game. So we have only 2 options for now:
1) Do not model animals at all.
2) Have static animals (not moving or moving at simple cycled trajectories), which will not interact with player.

ConquestiDate: Sunday, 02.02.2014, 13:12 | Message # 21
Astronaut
Spain
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Don't forget the Spore game.

Spore is a life simulator. Unlike Space Engine or Noctis.

Quote SpaceEngineer ()
But if you take a closer look on all these games, you may see that they have unrealistically small scale. Planets are like balls, 100 meters in diameter. So they need only few dozen of animals. It is not hard to model bahaviour of such amount of creatures. But if you try to scale them to real sized planet, like in SE, you will fail. Current computers can't model trilions of creatures on thousands of planets, where players can be simultaneaously in the online game

I understand, but it is not necessary to create real-time creatures that walk on the ground.

You could create a map with different colors with different ecosystems. The creatures would be on that map in a window in the style of a database.

This would be with a detailed surface scanner.

Edited by Conquesti - Sunday, 02.02.2014, 18:50

DeathStarDate: Sunday, 02.02.2014, 14:22 | Message # 22
Pioneer
Croatia
Quote Conquesti ()
Spore is a life simulator.

Lol, I dont think that Spore deserves to be called a simulator, since it is so unrealistic.

Quote Conquesti ()
You could create a map with different colors with different ecosystems. The creatures would be on that map in a window in the style of a database.

This would be with a detailed surface scanner.

That actually sounds like a fairly good idea, and doesn't sound too hard to implement.

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 02.02.2014, 14:46 | Message # 23
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Conquesti, you probably should have quoted the original text.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

FaceDeerDate: Sunday, 02.02.2014, 18:42 | Message # 24
Space Pilot
Canada
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
1) Do not model animals at all.
2) Have static animals (not moving or moving at simple cycled trajectories), which will not interact with player.

I think you could easily get away with a third option; procedurally generate animals and scatter them around on the planet's surface, have them interact with the player whenever they show up, but don't bother to save the state of that local interaction when the player leaves the vicinity. We're all quite used to video games wherein corpses disappear or creatures spontaneously respawn.

Regardless, though, I imagine individual animals are way far down the priority list. Though as an interim measure I'd love to see more complexity in the textual description, beyond just "marine/terrestrial uni/multicellular" and so forth. smile

InariusDate: Monday, 03.02.2014, 09:40 | Message # 25
Explorer
France
As a child i remember being a big fan of "Sim Earth". The life was completely (nearly completely actually) procedural, and it was very entertaining.

Something interesting could be that with a scanner or a specific menu you could study the life (fauna & flora) on the planet, but you couldn't actually SEE it. You could thereby modelize a lot of thing, this menu could still be useful for the "game", but apart from the color of the forests, it won't be a big thing to make graphicaly.

ConquestiDate: Monday, 03.02.2014, 15:24 | Message # 26
Astronaut
Spain
My idea is to create a fauna map:

Surface Map

A simple example of fauna map / biodiversity

A database scan

Wiki edited by players

Static Flora

The spacecraft could scan life, ruins, alien technology, rare minerals (all statics in surface), etc..

Edited by Conquesti - Monday, 03.02.2014, 15:25

InariusDate: Monday, 03.02.2014, 17:32 | Message # 27
Explorer
France
That's...that's awesome smile
I was, actually, EXACTLY what I was imagining.

The hardest part of this is to make possibility of life very very very diversified (even if, IMHO, 99% of life in universe is unicellular), and I think proper images will lack. In your menu, it's very similar to life on Earth.

spacerDate: Monday, 03.02.2014, 20:15 | Message # 28
Star Engineer
Israel
Quote Inarius ()
In your menu, it's very similar to life on Earth.

our brain cant think about another lifeform. if you try to think about alien you will think about alien with legs,hands, head. this is our brain. wink

this is so cool! its need to be in the Single player space exploration game! biggrin (not planetarium)

"we began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

-space engine photographer

Edited by spacer - Monday, 03.02.2014, 20:17

ConquestiDate: Monday, 03.02.2014, 20:19 | Message # 29
Astronaut
Spain
Quote Inarius ()
I was, actually, EXACTLY what I was imagining.

The hardest part of this is to make possibility of life very very very diversified (even if, IMHO, 99% of life in universe is unicellular), and I think proper images will lack. In your menu, it's very similar to life on Earth.

The database is of one planet. Could you see life simple or more complex life on another planet. The example of the fictional planet Hercules is advanced multicellular organic life.

The universe is billions of worlds with life and I think that a database is the best solution.

Besides that database could be created by users and players while SpaceEngineer could work in the game engine.

Edited by Conquesti - Monday, 03.02.2014, 20:19

spacerDate: Monday, 03.02.2014, 20:22 | Message # 30
Star Engineer
Israel
Conquesti, but there will be 10^200! lifeform species.
our computers today cant do that!

"we began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

-space engine photographer

Edited by spacer - Monday, 03.02.2014, 20:23

Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » Creatures in the game (A idea from me.)
Search: