ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
  • Page 7 of 7
  • «
Forum » SpaceEngine » Space Journeys » The Search for Earthlike Atmospheres (Can we find a breatheable atmosphere in Space Engine?)
The Search for Earthlike Atmospheres
WatsisnameDate: Wednesday, 30.11.2016, 11:20 | Message # 91
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
What do you think of a symbol for a corrosive atmosphere?

SalvoDate: Wednesday, 30.11.2016, 12:24 | Message # 92
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
Quote Watsisname ()

I think a corrosive atmosphere it could be also considered toxic, so the skull would be fine smile

Also it would be interesting to add a flammable icon (for atmospheres with very high concentrations of oxygen), even if the icon would be similar to the high-temperature's one.

EDIT: I'm not sure because oxygen would disappear quite quickly if there's anything like plans that keeps refilling it.

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

Edited by Salvo - Wednesday, 30.11.2016, 12:31

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Wednesday, 30.11.2016, 22:16 | Message # 93
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote Watsisname ()

To keep things simple I think the skull is fine. In the end though if any sort of human survival scale is added what icons are displayed or what info is displayed would be up to SpaceEngineer anyway.

Quote Salvo ()
Also it would be interesting to add a flammable icon (for atmospheres with very high concentrations of oxygen), even if the icon would be similar to the high-temperature's one.

This is starting to get into a unique icon for every scenario, the goal should be just a few icons to let someone know whether something is lethal or not and maybe basic info on why.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 04.12.2016, 18:07 | Message # 94
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Quote quarior14 ()
SpaceEngineer, can you make a make a screenshot on the planet to see the new rendering ?

Planet rendering didn't changed since 0.98.

quarior14Date: Sunday, 04.12.2016, 21:00 | Message # 95
World Builder
Group: Users
Pirate
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Planet rendering didn't changed since 0.98.

I was talking about clouds, unless it's still unchanged in 0.9.8.1 ?

Quarior

catyak2005Date: Monday, 12.12.2016, 05:59 | Message # 96
Observer
Pirate
Well, I have one more suggested breathable atmosphere;

HIP 22004 3
Warm Terra with Organic Unicellular Marine Life
ESI .776
321 day year
16 hr days
37 degree tilt
.95 Gravity
151 degrees Fahrenheit (pass the lemonade!)
and 9 lovely moons to watch & it has rings

.537 atm (I think the minimum pressure we need to be able to fill our lungs is .4atm)
O2 52.3% @ .284 atm
N2 25.7% @ .138 atm
CO2 18.1% @ .101 atm, so I think that gives a CO2 pressure of 0.01818 atm or half of what we breathe on Earth.

Oh and here is a funny one, 99.7% oxygen, but only .0352 atm (4,350km diam), so no chance of walking around.
RS 8477-5-6-74898-5463 A4

Attachments: 1160061.jpg (271.9 Kb) · 3386716.jpg (548.8 Kb)

Edited by catyak2005 - Monday, 12.12.2016, 06:01

AycemanDate: Sunday, 01.01.2017, 16:56 | Message # 97
Space Tourist
Romania
^^ Actually, that means 0.1atm partial pressure for CO2 which likely means death in less than 15 minutes.

The problem with habitable atmospheres is that you have to take into consideration surface gravity as well, because that affects the density vs pressure of the troposphere. I don't know of any studies that take that into consideration, but since density determines the amount of molecules on a particular gas in a volume (like your lungs, it would be safe to just go with fully compensating for that data instead of using partial pressure directly.

Obviously, first you'll want surface gravity to be okay for long duration stays, like <2g.

Then you'll want the absolute pressure of the atmosphere at habitation level (which can be above 0 altitude, especially on desert worlds as the game calculates it) to be above 12.5% that of Earth's, or to have some margin of error due to atmospheric variation >14-15%. Otherwise, your lungs can't effectively absorb whatever oxygen there is.

Then take the surface gravity of the planet and divide it by Earth's. Most planets will have lower gravity, so the ratio will be >1.

Take the partial pressures (adapted to height for desert planets) and multiply them by this value. That gives you relative densities, and compare these to the partial pressure values in this chart: http://imgur.com/hcWAFHj

So, as you can see, for low gravity worlds, the partial pressures deceive, as what looks like a somewhat tolerable 0.014atm is actually equivalent to a deadly 0.04atm on a Mars like world.

It's good news for superearths with low density oxygen-rich atmospheres however, since it's easier to get total pressure, but densities are lower than expected, including CO2, SO2, etc.

NoXionDate: Sunday, 29.01.2017, 03:30 | Message # 98
Observer
Group: Newbies
United Kingdom
I'm convinced that the atmosphere generation code as it currently stands is at best incomplete and at worst, utterly broken. Waaaay too much CO2 no matter whether life is present or not, for starters.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Space Journeys » The Search for Earthlike Atmospheres (Can we find a breatheable atmosphere in Space Engine?)
  • Page 7 of 7
  • «
Search: